12 November 2018 (Monday) - New Pants and Cream Cakes


I slept reasonably well but woke to find there was only me in the pit and Fudge on top of it. I came downstairs to find "er indoors TM" on the sofa with Treacle, Sid and Pogo. One had wanted to go tiddle during the night, and all three had got wet in the rain. The plan was they would dry off, and they all fell asleep.
I watched “South Park” as I scoffed my toast, then took the car to the garage for a service. They offered me a lift home, but they wouldn’t be able to go for half an hour. The rain was only a fine drizzle and I walked home in twenty-five minutes.

Once home I got leads onto those dogs that wanted a walk, and (leaving Sid asleep on the sofa) took Fudge, Treacle and Pogo round the park. We had a good wander. Pogo *really* didn’t like the snow-dog in the park and had a serious shout at it. Fudge straggled as he does; a passing looney asked me if Fudge liked horses. Apparently in the looney’s experience dogs that lag behind read the Sporting Life magazine. We hurried away as quickly as we could. There is a fine line between “whimsical” and “insane”.
It was at this point that the heavens opened. Within seconds we were all soaked. Within minutes the rain had got through to my pants. We hurried home as quickly as we could only to find that all the dog towels were still in the boot of "er indoors TM"’s car. I dried the dogs off as best I could using old rags from the to-be-recycled pile.
I loaded all my wet clothes into the washing machine and set them to scrub. I got myself some dry plants and took Fudge to the vets for his annual once-over. He wasn’t quite as frightened at the vets as he usually is. The vet gave him a good going over. His teeth need some brushing, and he needs to lose about a pound in weight, but generally all is good for a dog of his age.

We came home, hung wet clothes out to dry (again) and I turned on the telly. As I did the ironing I watched “The Dirty Dozen”; a film I’ve watched many times in the past. It starts well, but it does go on a bit, and there’s no denying that at the end it does turn into that classic movie from the Alexei Sayle show; “Things Exploding”.
However five minutes from the end of the film everything stopped. We had a power cut. But only a short one; by the time I’d got some shoes to see if the power was out up and down the street the power was back. Looking on the local Facebook groups it would seem that much of South Ashford had a power outage too.

The garage phoned; my car was ready to be collected. The nice man drove round to give me a lift. From the garage I went on to Tesco. I have three pairs of trainers; all of which leak. So I got a new pair, and whilst I was at it I got new pants and socks and a cream cake too. I told the world about it on Facebook; the world seemed suitably impressed, as well it might.
I came home and seeing the rain had stopped I walked all of the dogs round the block. Walking four on my own isn’t practical. It is doubly frustrating when we came home and Sid immediately went to have a tiddle in the living room. I caught him and marched him outside. His toilet training sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.
By now the rain had stopped. Having worked six consecutive days last week when it was (mostly) bright and dry I’ve just had three days off in the rain. By the time the rain stopped today it was too dark for me to do anything much so I scoffed my cream cake whilst watching an episode of “Lost in Space”, and with cake devoured I sorted the undercrackers that the washing machine had washed and dried for me (now we had some leccie again).

"er indoors TM" came home from work and the dogs immediately started playing up. Having been well behaved (asleep) for most of the day they started attacking each other and trying to make off with the laundry I’d worked so hard to iron. We had a rather good bit of dinner, then "er indoors TM" went bowling and the dogs all settled again…

No comments:

Post a Comment