20 November 2018 (Tuesday) - After The Night Shifts


As I drove home the pundits on the radio were interviewing Peter Lilley. A conservative MP for many years he’s looking set to go to the House of Lords. Or he was until this morning’s radio interview. Having been a staunch Brexiteer he was being interviewed on an alternative for the Prime Minister’s plans for Brexit which now are quite clearly dead in the water. Bearing in mind that everyone says that black is white when it comes to Brexit, the pundits on the radio had an independent expert on hand to fact-check what Mr (not Lord yet) Lilley was saying. To be fair to Peter the independent expert agreed with much of what he was saying; only quibbling with some of the more trivial of the petty details. (Like the petty details of Britain’s trading arrangements with the US). But Mr (not Lord yet) Lilley took great exception to being fact-checked and rather spat his dummy out on live radio. It comes to something when the presenter had to tell him to calm down.

It was a rather horrible morning to be driving; cold, wet and miserable. The relief had been delayed this morning and so I too was delayed getting home. I took the dogs out, but it was bitterly cold, and three dogs is just too much like hard work when you aren’t on top form. We cut the walk short and came home.
I then had a little burn-up. Whilst tidying up over the last few days I found some of the paperwork from the little episode of unpleasantness I had at work seven years ago. Some of it can just go in the recycling; some needed to be shredded. Shredding brought back several rather unhappy memories, so I gave up shredding and just set fire to it. "er indoors TM" has got a chiminea in the garden so I thought seeing how it was raining outside no one would object to me having a little fire. There wouldn’t be much smoke as it was raining…
There would have been less smoke if I’d burned the shed down.

I took myself off to bed and found a minor disaster. The bit of my CPAP machine that goes up my nose has gone missing. I had the bedroom apart but couldn’t find it. I’m guessing a dog has eaten it.
I managed a couple of hours’ sleep then got up and watched an episode of “Prison Break” as I scoffed a lunch of malt loaf and cashew nuts. Perhaps not everyone’s choice of lunch, but they were in the cupboard, and I like malt loaf and cashew nuts.

I did some ironing this afternoon whilst watching a film on Netflix. “Arrival” was made a couple of years ago and according to Wikipedia it was one of the best films of 2016. All I can say is that there must have been some rather crap films made in that year. Like many sci-fi films made over the last forty years it follows the same formula of the film 2001. Start well, go on until people start to get bored, and then drag the ending out with some psychedelic drivel that no one understands. “Interstellar” was just the same.

I dozed until "er indoors TM" came home. She boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching this week’s episode of “Lego Masters”.
We had a bottle of plonk with dinner. Yesterday I’d got us a bottle of “Campo Viejo” as Sainsbury were knocking it out at a fiver off of the usual price. Billed as one of the world’s top six per cent of wines I wasn’t impressed.

And it is Lacey’s birthday today. Twelve years old – where have the years gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment