19 November 2018 (Monday) - Between the Night Shifts


It wasn’t a bad night shift last night, but I am always glad to see the relief arrive. As I drove home the pundits on the radio were interviewing some Belgian chap who was giving the Belgian perspective of Brexit. He took the line that the UK has had the best part of two years to come up with a deal; the UK negotiating team had presumably known what was being negotiated for all of that time, and they’ve left it rather late to announce that the proposed deal sucks fish.
I think the fellow has probably got a point.

Yesterday I’d bagged up some rubbish; I stopped off at the tip to get rid of it on my way home. As I was driving into the tip there was some idiot in a small car driving up the wrong side of the road in an attempt to overtake everyone and everything. Narrowly avoiding going head-on into a dustbin lorry he then tried to overtake me on the entrance to the tip; no mean feat when the entrance road is only one car wide. When we got to the tip this car parked almost (but not quite) blocking the exit. The driver (who looked far too young to be driving) then tried to heave various items of furniture to the bulky waste skip. I did chuckle; the big man when behind the wheel; not strong enough to pick up a dining chair when not behind the wheel. Once I’d unloaded my rubbish I squeezed my car past where he’d tried to block the way out of the tip. I complimented him on his parking. I think the sarcasm went right over his head.

I got home to find some rather excited dogs. I walked them round the park. As we came past the fountain I felt rather sad, The snow dog that was there yesterday has now gone. They have all been collected in for a farewell event in a week or so. The fountain wasn’t the same without the snow dog.

We got home before the forecast rain. Having borrowed new-next-door’s ladder (mine is in Margate) I spent a few minutes dobbing waterproofing onto the bathroom roof. It has leaked a bit in the heavy rain recently. As I dobbed I saw a rather large gap by the fascia board. I shall need some filler for that.

I had a scrub and took myself off to bed. Before I’d started on the roof I’d popped a hot water bottle in the bed (I get cold feet when I sleep during the day). Pogo and Treacle were both curled up together on top on the duvet just where the hot water bottle was. I moved them off; they moved back on.
Eventually I tricked them by moving the bottle and sleeping diagonally across the bed until half past three when I was woken by a phone call from 0161 711 0322. I wonder who that was?
 
I got up, watched an episode of “Prison Break”, then carried on tidying up the back bedroom. I say “tidying up”; “throwing away” is closer to the truth. I found a few coats and hoodies that I’d not seen for years; all rather mildew-ed. I found a broken CD rack. I found loads of old documents - do I *really* want the paperwork for a life assurance policy that I cancelled in 1996? I loaded the rubbish into the back of my car for another tip run in the morning, then geo-puzzled for a while.

"er indoors TM" is boiling up a quiche, then I’m off to another night shift…

No comments:

Post a Comment