1 February 2014 (Saturday) - Still Raining

What with all the stress and excitement of my trip to London yesterday I didn't eat during the day. When I got to astro club I was delighted to find the most wonderful chilli had been prepared. I was suddenly very hungry and ate three bowls of the stuff. In retrospect that was somewhat excessive; it didn't sit well overnight, and I spent much of today farting like a fruitbat.
(That is assuming fruitbats fart excessively)

Over brekkie I watched an episode of "Jeeves and Wooster" that I hadn't seen before. I seem to catch episodes of that series at random; perhaps it might all make more sense if I watched it in order.
I checked emails, and then set off to work. As I drove along the ten (or so) miles of the A28 between Ashford and Canterbury I couldn't help but look to the river. Last night flood warnings had been issued for the river Stour, and at every part of the river that I could see from the road the river had overflowed its banks and flooded the surrounding fields.

As I drove I could see a tailback of cars behind a large Tesco lorry. Many drivers were overtaking this lorry recklessly and dangerously; often on blind corners. As I finally got close enough to read the signage on said lorry (in Wincheap) I couldn't help but be amazed. Apparently Tesco lorries will not go faster than forty miles per hour on single carriageway road for safety reasons. I can't help but feel that this policy is going to cause someone's death. Were these lorries to drive at a more sensible speed people wouldn't feel the need to go haring past them.

I popped into Morrisons to get some fruit for lunch, completely forgetting I wanted to buy a torch while I was there. Then I went to work where I did my bit.
I did look out of the window from time to time at a glorious morning, and I did wonder about what might have been. There had been talk of going to Greenwich to the observatory today, but only talk. Nothing more had been said. Mind you as the day wore on so the weather got worse. Torrential rain had returned by 2pm and poured for the rest of the afternoon and well into the evening so perhaps today wouldn't have been such a good day for an outing. I don't mind being at work when the weather is awful...

2 comments:

  1. 40 is the national speed limit for lorries on single carriageways. The driver does not actually have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 is the national speed limit for lorries on single carriageways. The driver does not actually have a choice.

    ReplyDelete