4 August 2018 (Saturday) - Late Shift


I got up just after half past eight – having had "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" come to stay had been tiring. There wasn’t much that had happened overnight on Facebook, but I had a couple of emails that boiled my piss. One was a log on my Earthcache at Dungeness. An Earthcache is a little geography lesson. To qualify for this one you have to basically compare how far the tide goes out at Greatstone and compare it with how far it goes out at Dungeness. Someone from Germany had claimed a find, but from the answers they sent me (there’s an element of doing your homework involved) I’m rather sure they weren’t ever there. I’ve messaged them (twice), and will do so again if they don’t reply, but if I get no answer within a week I shall take the ultimate step of deleting their log. “Deleting a log” is akin to being expelled from school or bsing dishonourably discharged. It is the ultimate bad in hunting Tupperware, and not to be done lightly.
Interestingly the person I’m suspecting has claimed nearly forty thousand finds. A couple of years ago I found another “fraudulent” found-it log from someone who was in the country’s top twenty finders.
Do these people think that having such a high number of finds means the rules don’t apply to them, or is this how they get such a high number of finds?

I spent a little while pondering geo-puzzles with a view to going for a walk in a couple of weeks time then we took the dogs round the park. The walk went off far better than it usually does (which was something of a result).
I was interested to see a little van has set up selling teas and coffees; I wonder if they have permission to do so? I heard from a fellow dog-walker that a cup of coffee was three quid. We had far cheaper at home, and a Belgian bun too.

As I drove to work there was some travel program on the radio. It started off about the failed mining projects in Mongolia and ended up with an article about the mucky underwear industry of Albania.
This then gave way to what was described as a beginner’s guide to economics but was actually a rather disappointing platform for a failed economics graduate to attempt (and fail) to be a stand-up comedian.

As I drove along the section of motorway from junction six to Junction five I had to break sharply. A car (with registration M131 NKH) was blundering all over the place seemingly unable to choose a lane to be in. Having nearly side-swiped my car it then meandered all over the place. I suspect it would have navigated a straighter line had the driver been looking out of the window rather than conducting a physical fight with the small child in the passenger seat.

Once at work I went to the canteen and had chicken korma (and rice) with a yogurt for afters. It would have been a much better meal had some woman not been shrieking into her mobile phone at the other end of the room. Surely the whole point of a mobile phone is that you don't need to shriek - the person who you are phoning can hear you at quieter volumes - that's why we have phones?

I went in to work for the late shift. I've always said that given the choice I would rather have an early one, and even more so at weekends. As i did my bit I sulked at the fine weather outside. So many friends were in Yorkshire for the national geo-event there today. Whilst I probably wouldn't have gone, it would have been good to have had the option.

I did my bit, and just as I was walking out to go home my phone beeped. A new geocache had gone live not two miles from work; and as an added bonus it was (almost) on the way home. After a little farting about trying to find a footpath in the twilight I got to where I was supposed to be at the same time as a LooneyDrew did. We had a joint First to Find, and a little catch-up.
What with a cheeky FTF and getting petrol I was home rather late this evening…


No comments:

Post a Comment