1 August 2018 (Wednesday) - Field Trials


I was making the most of an opportunity to have a bit of a lie-in this morning when Treacle dabbed me awake to proudly show me the socks she’d just stolen from my sock drawer. She seemed so pleased with herself. I recaptured my socks and got up.
I sparked up my lap-top to look at the Internet. Nothing much had changed overnight really, which was probably not a bad thing. There is talk of an outing to one of the panic rooms in Canterbury; I’d be interested in that. Mid-week would be good as things like that tend to heave at the weekends.

Being on a late shift I took the dogs for a walk straight after brekkie. Our standard walk round the park is *so* much easier during the school holidays. We weren’t bothered by normal people anywhere near as much as we sometimes are. There was a minor incident when a Nepalese woman ran in terror from Treacle;’ so many of the Nepalese seen to be terrified of dogs. We chased a squirrel up a tree, and we had a chat with OrangeHead who was having a rant that the gate to the co-op field has been padlocked shut. Personally I see that as a good thing. There is still pedestrian access, but the gate being shut means cars can’t drive in there.

We came home and met new-next-door who was just going out. We had a chat. He is in the throes of digging up his kitchen floor and he’s found a manhole cover under it. He was surprised to find that a manhole cover for the main sewer had been blocked like that. I wasn’t surprised; the people who built the conservatory-kitchen blocked that up about ten years ago. New-next-door went off on one about how blocking the drains was illegal; all I could say was that I agreed with him, but this had been an argument between the people in the house (four or five residents ago) and the water company. I suggested he fought with them; he laughed,
I watched the second half of yesterday’s episode of “Orange is the new black”, settled the dogs and set off out.

As I drove off "Women's Hour" on the radio was talking about how "coercive control" was now an offence and was discussing the matter in very great and very depressing detail. I turned over to my awful choice in music and howled all the way to Allington where I planned to test out my new geo-app.
There is a geocache in Allington which required me to visit three separate locations, get some information, and from the dates I found I had to calculate the final location of the concealed sandwich box. The app worked reasonably well, even if I didn't find what I was looking for. I think I might have got one of the puzzles wrong; if any of my loyal readers know when the deepest floods occurred at Allington lock, please let me know.
Mind you I did test the thing successfully on the way back to the car even if I did (at first) find a bag of dog poo rather than the cache.
All I need to do now is figure out how to sort my trackables and I will be laughing (or giggling hysterically). I've emailed the bloke who made the app. I wonder if he will reply?

I got to work and had a rather busy late shift; I didn't like that.

Meanwhile, Gertie, Laura and Snorloc seem to be doing well. As well as cucumber and foliage, they have had soil added to their home.
The fortunate molluscs !!

No comments:

Post a Comment