8 January 2018 (Monday) - A Secondment

Over the last few weeks and months Fudge has been rather soppy at breakfast time; wanting cuddles.
Not today.
Today as I watched “Dad’s Army” and scoffed my brekkie I had to turn up the volume on the telly so I could hear it over his snoring.

I set off to work earlier than usual; not knowing how long the journey would take. Today saw the start of a three-month secondment to the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. As I drove the pundits on the radio were discussing all sorts of topics; wage inequalities in the BBC, Oprah Winfrey’s latest speech, the Prime Minister’s cabinet re-shuffle. All of it was “blah blah blah”. On my usual trip I find driving up the motorway can be dull and the radio is a good distraction to the boredom. Today’s journey was country lanes in pitch darkness and I had to concentrate.

I get to new work, and… The job was good. The people are friendly and welcoming. The bosses are approachable. But it is all the little things. I soon found the lady who organises the tea and coffee and joined in. But there is always the uncomfortable “being the new boy” thing. People stop telling the knob jokes until they get to know me. I don’t know where anything is kept. And I’m not keen on an unfamiliar toilet - I can’t sit just anywhere to read my Kindle.
I expect I’ll get used to it. I don’t really have much choice.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of scran this evening, then went bowling like she does most Monday nights. Being “home alone” I put on last night’s episode of “SAS: Who Dares Wins”. I do like that show; I’m *so* glad I never had to do National Service.
I also scoffed the last of the black forest and cream left over from Boxing Day. “Best Before” dates - Pah (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment