15 January 2018 (Monday) - Blue Monday

I slept well, finally waking twenty minutes before the alarm was due to go off. I got up, even if my dogs didn't. Over brekkie I watched the fifth episode of "The End of the Fxxxing World". I discovered this series on Netflix yesterday evening and watched four episodes back-to-back. It's a rather good show once you get into it (You probably need to gloss over the first minute or so...). A bit gruesome in parts, but I can (mostly) live with that.
I thought about watching another episode, but bearing in mind the journey I now have to get to work I thought better of it.
I got dressed (putting on my new belt and one of my new shirts) and just as I was about to leave the house my phone beeped with news of a new geocache not two minutes from work. A shame that was "Maidstone work" and not "Pembury work"...

As I walked to my car it was still dark and the rain was rather heavy. Today was "Blue Monday"; supposedly the most miserable day of the year. As I left home I rather felt that it was. I had a rather horrible drive to work. It took me an hour and twenty minutes, which is about double the length of time for which I'm happy to drive. I have only done this journey six times now, and already I hate it with a passion. As I drove I was tailgated by an endless succession of idiots driving far too fast along dark narrow wet slippery country lanes with piss-poor visibility. I pulled over so many times to let these twits come past. Every time I pulled over was the same. Firstly they would pull over with me; being far too close they had no idea why i was pulling over. And when they realised why I'd stopped they would then fly past me (with a squeal of tyres). And within a hundred yards there would be another squeal of tyres as they nearly collided with cars coming on the other side of the narrow lanes.
I *really* like working at Pembury;  but getting there and getting home is more like hard work than the actual job is.

As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the collapse of Carillion; a company which has all sorts of contracts with the government. The pundits on the radio interviewed some old windbag who said that other companies would take over the contracts, and the only difference those doing the actual work would notice would be that the corporate logos on their uniforms would change.
Doesn't this speak volumes about how government contacts are awarded?

There was also an interview with the leader of UKIP; Henry Bolton. Over the weekend he dumped his girlfriend because of all the racist stuff she'd been quoted as saying.
The interview with him made for good radio, though. Rather than discussing the political matters of the day, those conducting the interview got him to talk about the sordid details of his personal life. Apparently he'd only been with this girlfriend for a few weeks. The chap admitted that his wife found out about the girlfriend over Christmas, and has since taken his children to live with her in Austria. (Austria - is that why he's so anti-Europe?)
You would think that the leader of a national political party would have wanted to talk policies and newsworthy stuff rather than just admitting to all the sordid details of his recent affair, wouldn't you? Other politicians try to hide that sort of scandal.
Perhaps he's proud of having had a bimbo in tow?

I got to work where I did my thing. With my thing done I came home. Just as I got to my car there was another beep on my phone. Another new geocache. This one was reasonably nearby, but there were several stages to it, and it was raining.
I would have had a good run home had I not got stuck behind a learner driver who went at twenty-five miles per hour for the last fifteen miles of the journey.

"er indoors TM" did a rather good bit of dinner then went bowling. I’m going to watch the telly. My dogs are already asleep. I expect I shall be soon…


No comments:

Post a Comment