24 January 2018 (Wednesday) - Ice Cream



The puppy slept well last night. And when she has a good night, so does everyone else. It is just like having a toddler around the place again.
Over brekkie I watched another episode of “The Good Place” – in this episode we got a first look at the “bad place”. It makes for entertaining viewing as I scoff my toast.

I then had a quick look-see at the Internet. Not much had happened on Facebook, and with no emails not going into the bin unopened I got myself together and set off to work. It was rather wet and very windy as I walked to my car. As I started the engine the pundits on the radio were relating the sad news that the renowned science-fiction author Ursula K LeGuin had died.
As a sci-fi enthusiast I'm rather ashamed that I've never actually read anything of hers. Maybe I should? I shall have a look-see what's on the Kindle store on Amazon.

As I drove to work along some rather slippery country lanes I was amazed at how many cars hadn't skidded in the mud and gone through hedges. I wasn't going to risk it; I took my time. As the queues of traffic built up behind me, Dr Liam Fox (Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade) was being interviewed on the radio. He was spouting about why we should strike up new trade deals with various countries and why we should invest more money in health care, and why we should do this, that and the other. The more he spoke about what "we" should be doing, the more I realised that "we" was variously the United Kingdom's government, the Department of Health, the Conservative party, the UK Cabinet...  At no point did he mention a "we" to which I felt that both he and I belonged.

There was also a *lot* of talk about the collapse of the rape case against Oliver Mears. Having been accused of of rape and sexual assault in July 2015 the case against him has been dropped in the last week or so. The pundits were fussing about the failures in the system which led to the case being dropped. I don't pretend to understand what went wrong. Was he unfairly accused? Was he guilty as sin and getting off on a technicality? I don't know.
But I do know that if he was accused in July 2015 then the trial should have taken place no later that August 2015. Why do all these court cases take so long to get sorted? Having had something vaguely similar I know how the uncertainty of these things can ruin your life.

I got to work and did my bit, and then came home again.

Once home I got the dogs collared and leaded, and we walked round the block. Not an excessively long walk, but they like to get out. Even if "er indoors TM" had taken them out at lunch time. The original plan had been a longer walk meeting up with "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" but the weather really was against us.

I then boiled up my own scran. As it boiled I got a tub of ice cream from the shop over the road. "er indoors TM" had gone to a gathering of the tribes in Folkestone. Today was the Bat's big birthday. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have wanted any fuss to be made about it, and what with getting home from Pembury and walking dogs, I would have struggled to have got along in time. But it would have been good to have seen him. But I had sent my best wishes with "er indoors TM", and instead of going along I sat in front of the telly and with scran scoffed I shared my ice cream with my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment