20 January 2018 (Saturday) - Geo-Meet

For some time the plan for the morning had been a little wander round Faversham before the geo-meet. I woke to rather heavy rain. The forecast said the rain would get worse, so (as far as we were concerned) the walk was abandoned. There are those who say there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad preparation. There are those who see going walking in the rain as some sort of macho competition. To those people I would respectfully say “no!” I’ve done that in the past.
Turning up to a geo-meet after such a walk and having to go to the lavatory so you can wring out your pants isn’t something I’d care to repeat.

I checked my emails and had something of a shock. There was an advert for a supervisory position in.. well, I won’t say where. But if interested the person to contact was an ex-trainee of mine. I wrote quite the little diatribe about the chap, but decided against publishing it. You never know – I might want to be on his good side one day now he’s a senior manager, and I’m not…
There were also several new geocaches that had gone live, but none especially local.
Facebook amazed me – it invited me to join the Facebook group of the 1st Saltwood scout group. Why would I want to join that group? I did my bit with scouting for thirteen years (1996 – 2009).

I spent an hour writing up more C.P.D. – it’s a work thing. Everyone who is state registered is supposed to keep their skills and knowledge up to date, and to show they do so. Keeping up to date is easy but proving that you do so takes a little effort. You can do this however you like. I choose to write a blog. Getting the evidence together is easy enough. To be honest writing it up is easy enough too – I just have to find time to do it. In my last job I used to write it up during the night shifts. My current night shifts are too busy for that. I found an hour this morning. Currently everything is now written up. I’m pleased about that.

Despite the rain the dogs wanted a little walk. I thought I could get them walked then dry myself before going out later. Usually I like a walk with my dogs. Today’s was a misery. It started bad when Fudge picked a full-blown fight with a Labrador ten times his size. The poor Labrador just wanted to be left alone; I don’t think Fudge drew blood, but it was close. And then just when we were all soaked from the rain, after twenty minutes of slowly plodding a hundred yards behind, Fudge sprinted off to join in with another group of dog-walkers who made a point of hurrying off in the opposite direction to which we wanted to go.
He then had a crap. He can’t do it in one big pile. He has to spread it out; one turd every yard or so for ten yards.
I was *so* pleased to get home.

We settled the dogs and went out for the day. First of all to Matalan. One of the shirts I’d bought last Sunday had a rip in it. The nice people at Matalan replaced it without quibbling.
We then drove to Faversham. There is a geocache there I’ve failed to find three times. I failed to find it a fourth time.
From there it was a short hop to the Market Inn where the Kent hunters of Tupperware were staging their one hundredth meeting. It was a rather good meet-up. I chatted with all sorts of people about all sorts of things. Insults were bandied, plans were made, ideas were exchanged. It is always good to catch up with like-minded friends. It was a very good meet-up. If I can achieve half as much at the meet I’m staging in February I shall be well pleased.
A bottle of Brilliant ale was followed by a bottle of stout. Then a pint of Bishop’s Finger with a Master Brew chaser, and a bottle of Spitfire for afters.

Suitably refreshed we gave Karl and Tracey a lift back to the station; pausing only briefly to find a geocache which had previously foxed us. And then we went to the one we failed to find earlier. Apparently it was actually missing earlier; we soon found the replacement,

We came home, and I had a little doze; that fifth pint had been somewhat soporific.

"er indoors TM" boiled up some dinner, and then went off to the Saturday night film session. I stayed with the dogs, and watched a film on Netflix. “Allegiant”. It was tripe. I turned it off half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment