11 January 2018 (Thursday) - This n That


After a rather poor night's sleep I found myself lying awake waiting for the alarm to go off. With ten minutes to go I gave up waiting and got up.
Over a lonely brekkie (with both dogs fast asleep) I watched an episode of "Big Mouth" then set off to work.

Yesterday was a bright morning; today was dark and raining. The journey to work that I now do isn't the best, and there was a very dodgy five minutes as I went through Sissinghurst.  With cars parked on both sides of the road, traffic was single file. A tractor driver wasn't going to wait his turn and just drove down through parked cars right at me. He didn't actually do any lasting damage as he scraped past my car, but the impact folded my wing mirror in. And to add insult to injury when I pulled up to sort the mirror, the queue of traffic behind me pulled up too; they were too close behind to realise why I was stopping.
Mind you I shouldn't complain; at least the traffic was moving at that point. I spend forty minutes in the morning driving twenty-five miles to the A21, from where I then spend forty minutes driving from the Lamberhurst roundabout to Pembury which is only six miles up the road.
Still... I've only got to do this journey another fifty times (in this secondment)

As I drove, the pundits on the radio were talking about  Chris Hopson, (chief executive of NHS Services) who has publicly called for massively increasing the NHS budget, or a re-think of what is expected from the NHS.
With ever-increasing demands on the NHS, there is only so much that can be done with limited resources. Mind you I doubt there will actually be either any more money or any lowering of expectations. Just an ongoing series of whinges about how the NHS isn't achieving the impossible.
There was also talk of the Government's new environmental plans. With twenty-five years to implement them, there was (and will be) lots of talk, but seemingly very little action.

I got to work, spent ten minutes with a cuppa calming my nerves, then got on with that which I couldn't avoid. And then I gritted my teeth and came home again. I quite like the job I'm doing; but there's no denying that a combination of the A21, A262, A28 and various country lanes don't make for the world's best journey in the dark.

I came home to an empty house; "er indoors TM" and the dogs came home from their walk then "er indoors TM" went off to craft club. Being left “home alone” (again) I sparked up Netflix. Curled up on the sofa with the dogs I watch a film called “Infinity Chamber”. It started well and went rather odd. Perhaps my falling asleep twice didn’t help, but it was one of those films that once you’d watched it, you looked it up to see what it was all about.
In all honesty I couldn’t recommend it…

No comments:

Post a Comment