8 September 2018 (Saturday) - Brede


Finding myself wide awake at two o’clock I got up and watched the first episode of season six of “Orange is the New Black”. The show seems to have taken a new turn as there was absolutely no filth whatsoever in this episode. I then went back to bed and slept through until nearly nine o’clock.

I got up and immediately fell over Treacle’s food bowl. She carries it around and plays with it as though it is a toy. She must have lost interest in it just before jumping on the bed last night.
Over brekkie I had a look-see at what was going on in the Internet. A lot of people seemed to be celebrating wedding anniversaries today. My cousin was whinging about having injured her “clopper” whilst riding a bike yesterday. Life goes on…

We got the leads onto the dogs and drove down to Brede. As we drove through Tenterden there were Morris Dancers doing their thing. The dogs barked at them; I was pleased about that.
Before we started our walk we took a little diversion to hunt out a cache that hadn’t been found for over a year. As we started we saw a couple of kids who were oh-so-obviously geocaching. I told them that I knew what they were doing; they sheepishly admitted they were geocaching but hadn’t found any. Ever. They were amazed when I rummaged under a rock and produced one, and were absolutely gobsmacked when I suggested they signed and dated it. A shame that the lad used his birth date rather than today’s date, but you can’t have everything.

We then relocated to Brede where we thought we’d hunt out some more really old geocaches. We made our way to the Church where we solved two puzzles. One was rather fiendish and led to me getting my hand ripped to shreds (to no avail). The other was based on the rather sad tale of Damaris Richardson; an orphan who lived nearby which we also failed to find.
We walked on to Brede water works where we found our second resuscitation cache of the day. However we didn’t see any dodos. There are those who subscribe to the theory that dodos are extinct. All I can say (in all seriousness) is that on a couple of occasions I’ve seen birds near Brede water works which look *identical* in every way to the stuffed dodos in the Natural History Museum.
From the water works we continued a rather circular walk back to the car, taking a diversion on the way to pick up our third geo-resuscitation of the day. This one was rather special… well worth going to have a look at (if ammo cans in trees is the sort of thing that floats your boat). Mind you with no other caches within half a mile of it, it was somewhat “old-school”, and perhaps that is why it gets so few visits.
As we walked "er indoors TM" got talking with a passing normal person who was picking mushrooms. He offered he some which he assured her were quite edible; thankfully she declined his offer.
I took a few photos as we walked; we got back to the car to find we’d walked over four miles.

Once home we had a cuppa and cake, and I sent a message to the chap who’d hidden the caches we couldn’t find. Were we in the right places? Had they gone?
I then wasted an hour or so playing “Bubble Witch Saga” in the lap-top. Something of a waste of time perhaps, but sometimes sitting and wasting time isn’t a bad thing.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, and as we scoffed it we watched a film on Netflix. “The Beyond” was a watchable sci-fi story. I quite liked it, but I was rather conscious that the story was one which (in large part) Fred Pohl told over forty years ago in his novel “Man Plus”.
There seem to be very few original stories left to be told…

No comments:

Post a Comment