9 September 2018 (Sunday) - Oldberry Hill


I slept reasonably well and didn’t trip over anything left laying around by silly dogs when I got up this morning.
As I scoffed brekkie I had a look at Facebook. "My Boy TM" had been fishing yesterday with some of his mates. They’d been to some match lake. I don’t like these match lakes – so many rules and regulations suck the enjoyment out of it. But he’d caught some big catfish, so he’d had a more productive session than our trip out last Saturday.
I was then rather surprised to find that I’d been made an administrator of Brookfield café’s Facebook page. In fact not just an administrator, but the *only* administrator. I wonder how that came about; I’m hardly the man for the job. I’ve been there once this year, and I can’t really claim to be a big fan of the place. It’s not bad but given the choice I would go to Rocky’s or the Old Foundry or the American Diner or even McDonalds before them.
I also had an email from the chap who hid the caches we couldn’t find yesterday. It seems we were in the right location for both. Maybe I might go back and have another look?
I then played “Bubble Witch Saga” for half an hour before getting myself organised for the main business of the day.

We got ourselves organised and drove off. We then came back home again as I’d forgotten “Hannah” (my GPS unit) and drove to the car park at the co-op. Bearing in mind that the cashpoint machine there has *never* given me a receipt I walked across to the petrol station and got money from there. We then went on to Oldbury Hill.
Regular readers of this drivel may recall that I walked the series of geocaches there exactly a month ago. Karl had suggested we walked this route today. I was keen; it had been raining when we walked it and I wanted to see the place in the dry. And (for various reasons) we wanted a short-ish route today. When we walked it a month ago the walk took us three hours. The hides were all clever and tricky, and one eluded us altogether. Today we walked the lot in two hours finding all the hides pretty much immediately and I found the one that we  spent over half an hour on (before giving up) in less than a minute. In many ways I was disappointed; knowing where most of the caches were, I had been looking forward to doing my usual grinning smugly whilst everyone else struggled. But no one struggled.
As we walked I took a few photos as I seem to do

Oldbury Hill is a rather good place to be. The dogs liked the walk, and with walk walked it was a very short hop to the nearby pub. We were rather disappointed to see they only had one ale on the hand-pump, but Doom Bar isn’t a bad drop. We got chatting with the barman who told us that they only have one ale on at a time as they don’t shift enough of the stuff. We shifted some. But they did have bottles of “Goose IPA”. I shifted quite a bit of that; at 6% ABV I probably shifted too much.

We said our goodbyes; bearing in mind we were only fifteen miles from a puzzle geocache I’d solved over a year ago and was now up for resuscitation we drove out to find that (for bragging rights) and then I slept all the way home. 6% ABV beer does that to me.

I played a little more “Bubble Witch Saga” until "er indoors TM" doshed out a rather good bit of dinner. Then, with her off bowling and the dogs snoring, I watched more “Orange is the New Black”. I’m now up to episode three of the sixth season. With only ten more episodes left to go I really should be thinking about what my next binge-watching-on-Netflix should be…

No comments:

Post a Comment