27 September 2018 (Thursday) - Late Shift


I had some of that almond butter for brekkie… it’s not all that good. As I scoffed it I had a look at Facebook to see what I’d missed overnight. I hadn’t missed much. My in-box was also dull but I had one email from someone who was rather scathing about one of my Wherigoes, and then complained to tell me about an issue with one of my other geocaches. I wouldn’t have minded had this issue been valid. However I’d given written instructions so’s people would avoid the error he’d made. What can I do if people don’t read the instructions?

I had a load of freshly laundered undercrackers to put away. When I picked them up Treacle leapt up and responded in much the same way that I would if someone was brandishing a large cream cake. Putting my socks away without her running off with them took some doing.
I then took my dogs round the park. Sometimes I wonder why I take Treacle. Fudge clearly enjoys his walks. He shouts to be taken out, and when we go out he does his own thing and clearly has a good time. Treacle however rarely (if ever) ventures more than a few yards from me. She cowers in terror from all other dogs. She will chase a squirrel with the best of them, but only for ten seconds after which time she comes running back looking for me. Similarly in the co-op field she will play “chase” with Fudge, but only when she can see where I am.
Did I ever mention I never wanted dogs?

I drove round to the Outlet centre which was the quietest I've ever known it. There were three snow dogs and six snow pups there which I hadn't seen. I photographed them all, and then got into an argument with a sour-faced passer-by who claimed that snow dogs were a waste of money. I told him the error of his ways; he seemed to be rather taken aback that I didn't share his curmudgeonly attitude. Miserable old scrote!
I've now seen all the snow dogs and snow pups and registered them all on my app, and am feeling at something of a loose end.

Mind you, one of the snow dogs has been moved. The “infinity dog” was in the local churchyard until a few days ago, but it has been re-located following a complaint from one Mr. Chris Cooper (a local trouble-making religious nutter) who said that he is not against the snow dogs and went on to say: "I don't enjoy these battles, I don't have time for them. But you can't let these things go because when you do that things just get worse. The Snowdogs are fine. I have no problem with them, in that I'm by no means a puritan, but it's like a weed. When's a weed a weed? When it's in the wrong place. If they're in a public space there's no problem, but it's all about where you put it because they belong in certain places".
It bothers me that the thing was moved following just one complaint. A quick Google search shows that the bloke complaining has a history.
Five years ago he was forcibly ejected from a local annual parochial church meeting.
Eight years ago he staged a protest about the church’s trying to modernise.
Fourteen years ago he was sacked as a bell-ringer at the church.
Why should hundreds of decent people have to have their fun spoiled and be obliged to pander to one deranged looney because he has voices in his head? I must admit I’m rather intolerant of religions. If one has a moral or ethical issue and can discuss it reasonably, then that is to be encouraged. But to spout patent nonsense on the so-called prompting of a god that no one can see or hear but the looney spouting said patent nonsense is hardly a defensible position.

I then popped to Sainsbury's for some petrol. As I paid there was something of a rumpus going on at one of the tills. Some idiot had managed to use his credit card to pay for fifty quid for petrol he hadn't actually had. He was trying to enlist other customers to testify on his behalf about how difficult it was to operate the card machines at the pumps. Bearing in mind that no-one paying at the till had paid at the pumps (obviously!), he was struggling to get anyone to put in a word for him.

From Sainsburys I set off to Badlesmere. "er indoors TM" had hidden a geocache up there a while back which had gone missing. As it wasn't *that* far out of my way on my drive to work I thought I might replace it for her. Whilst helping others out is frowned upon amongst those who get their thrills from looking for film pots under rocks, I'm not averse to making myself useful. If only on the off chance that someone else might reciprocate.
And I know who cooks my dinner...

From Badlesmere I then took a country lane down to the A28 along which five more geocaches were hidden. Some were easy finds, some were in a right old state, one was being sat on by a hippy (I shall go back for that one tomorrow).
I had a few minutes to spare, so I called in to the Aylesford branch of Smyths. I'd been in there yesterday after work but was pushed for time then. With a little more time on my hands today I wanted to look at the "big boy's lego". They had some rather good kits for sale. They weren't cheap, but what is money for; if not to squander foolishly on lego.
Mind you I can't help but wonder what would happen if I got one of those expensive kits. How much of it would I build, and how much would Treacle eat?

I got to work I parked my car, and as I walked in to work I was struck by the lack of smell. No one was smoking cannabis in the works car park. They never do, but this morning I'd noticed that distinctive smell in Godfrey walk and Bowen's Field park. One of the fun-fair bods had been puffing a "funny fag" as had the gardeners at the William Road allotments. Shoppers in the Outlet centre had been indulging as had someone in a caravan at Badlesmere and the hippies in a picnic area near Lenham.
Was today "national smoke weed" day? It certainly smelled like it.

I went in to the works canteen where they were staging a "pie day". I like a pie, and I've taken to using the hospital canteen rather a lot when on a late shift. But I'm wondering if this is an economy I might make. Pie, chips and beans followed by a pot of yogurt all washed down by a bottle of fruit juice was eight quid.
Is that expensive?
I then got on with work as best I could. Somehow I managed to knack my back today. It really hurt. I wish I knew what I'd done to it; I wouldn't do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment