14 September 2018 (Friday) - Snow Pups


Last night’s night shift was rather quiet, which was probably for the best. As I drove home the pundits on the radio were spewing gloom and doom as they so often do. I mentally tuned them out.
Once home I eventually managed to park. Some days Beaver Road is empty, other days it heaves. This morning it was heaving.

I took the dogs round the park. As we walked I saw that there was a little van driving round the park – one of those with the little brush thingies attached sweeping the paths. As it came past I couldn’t help but notice it had the logo of the borough of Barrow in Furness emblazoned all over it. What was that all about? Doesn’t Ashford have one of those sweepy-van thingies? And if not, isn’t there one any closer that Ashford council might borrow?
We then had what I might best describe as a “near miss event” in the co-op field. As we were approaching the gate out of the field some old twit was coming in with two dogs both on very long leads. (I say “we were approaching”; Treacle and I were; Fudge was a hundred yards away). Treacle isn’t good with other dogs and on seeing the other dogs she started cowering. Rather than pulling his dog away, this old twit started laughing out loud at how scared Treacle was as his dog towered over her. He was so pleased with himself as he told me how my dog needed to “grow a pair”, but the smile immediately fell from his face when Fudge appeared from nowhere like a bullet from a gun. The dog which had previously been menacing Treacle ran in terror, and the old twit suddenly became apoplectic.
I suggested his dog might like to “grow a pair”; and went on to intimate that Treacle wouldn’t like to do so as she is a girl dog. We left him blustering as his dog ran off into the distance.

Once home I settled the dogs and drove up into town. I went into the County Square car park, and immediately came out again. I only wanted to park for an hour, so I went to the car park in Vicarage lane (a couple of hundred yards away) where I parked for less than half the price. One pound ten pence as opposed to two pounds eighty pence. It isn’t as though I couldn’t afford the one pound seventy pence, but it was the principle of the thing.
I then had something of a waste of time. But only something of one. I had driven into town to buy a snow dog ornament from the tourist information office and to treat myself to a milk shake from the Chill Time shake bar…
I activated my snow dog app and planned a route around the snow dogs along which I could get my shake and ornament, but I didn’t get either. The tourist information office was closed and as for the milk shake…
I got to the Chill Time place and saw the assistant was sitting behind the till. I stood and waited for him. And waited. And waited. Eventually I got tired of his pretending not to see me and I loudly asked if they were open. He grudgingly got up and made a great show of pretending not to understand what I was saying until I went away.
Mind you I did get to see more snow dogs round the town centre, and I even found two litters of snow pups. It was a shame that the “rather council” mothers were encouraging their “delightful children” to use some of the snow dogs as climbing frames, but such is life.
As I walked I met several other people who (like me) were “doing the snow dog app thing”. There was a gaggle of people at every snow dog I found. People either love them or stand about grumbling about the things. I love them!!

I came home and slept for a couple of hours. I got up, and over a very late brekkie had a look at the Internet. Yesterday I mentioned an old favorite TV show of mine; Space 1999. Over brekkie I learned that one of its stars had died. I was rather amazed to learn that Ziena Merton was seventy-two…
I then got out the ironing board and squeezed the wrinkles out of two weeks’ work of laundry whilst watching Wallace and Gromit dealing with a were-rabbit. The voice of the vicar in that film sounded familiar – it was the voice of Mr Rumbold from “Are You Being Served”.
And with ironing done I found something new on Netflix to watch. “The Job Lot” is entertaining enough.

"er indoors TM" boiled up some fish and chips for tea. I’ve programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow’s adventure. I think I might have an early night. I often say that, but I think I shall go to my pit before I fall asleep on this sofa. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment