5 September 2018 (Wednesday) - Resuscitations


I found myself wide awake in the small hours so I got up, watched telly for an hour or so then went back to bed where I nodded off again. I would have slept better had the canine half of the family not commandeered my side of the bed. I *could* have hoiked them off, but I let sleeping dogs lie.

I woke up a few hours later an had a look at Facebook as I scoffed toast. Facebook was alive with photos of youngsters going back to school. I quite like the school photos; being a nosey sort of person I like seeing what other people are doing, and I did have a chuckle at one or two people who’d posted loads of photos of their little darlings when in the past they’ve flatly forbidden any and all use of a camera anywhere within a hundred yards of their offspring in case this somehow encourages paedophiles to abduct them.
There were also those who in the past have been very scathing about the “back to school” photos who are now very happy to show them off now they have children of their own.

I then managed to destroy all the hard work I did yesterday afternoon. There is a geocaching app called “GSAK” which, whilst rather wonderful, doesn’t work with any logic at all. If you use it, whatever you do *never* open a file. To the rest of the universe “open a file” means “open a file”. To GSAK “open a file” means “take that file and mix it irretrievably in with the one you currently have on the screen”. When you want to open a file you have to create a brand new virgin file and then open the file you want to use on top of it. Oh how I laughed as yesterday afternoon’s work went down the toilet.  
Eventually I managed to salvage what I wanted from a backup.
That wasted quite a bit of time…

Bearing in mind it was raining I thought I might delay the dog walk by driving down to visit my mummy. Mum and dad seemed well, we had a cuppa and a cake, then I drove my dogs out to Rolvenden. There were three geocaches in the area that hadn’t been found in over a year; I thought I might do some more resuscitations.
Our first target was one which someone had logged that they didn’t find it a few months ago. I found a rather obvious hidey-hole, but there was nothing inside.
Our second target was just up the road; a quick find. Interestingly someone had signed the paper log to say they’d found it last August, but not done so on-line. I wonder why not.
Our third target was to be our main walk. I parked the car in Iden Green and me and my dogs walked along lanes and footpaths out to the back of beyond. The dogs seemed to like walking somewhere new; lots of interesting things to smell. Eventually my phone said I was within two metres of my quarry. The given hint said “tucked well back inside hollow base of large ash tree by fence”. I found a large ash tree by a fence. I found a great big hollow in it. I couldn’t find a film pot, sandwich box or anything hidden inside. Just as I was about to give up I saw something. A great big sandwich box laying out in the open at the base of that tree. I opened the log book to sign it and saw that no one had written anything in it for nearly two years. Another resuscitation. Happy dance.
As we walked back to the car we walked past a geocache that I’d found on the morning of 4 June. It was laying out in the open. I hid the thing properly and called up the information on the website intending to have a moan at whoever found it last and hadn’t hidden it properly. I was rather embarrassed to find that no one else had been near it since I logged that find. Whoops. However on the plus side I hadn’t realised that that no one had logged a find in the fifteen months prior to my finding it in June. Another resuscitation – one I’d done without realising.

We came home just as the rain started again. I scoffed some lunch whilst watching “Orange is the New Black”. The plot was rather exciting; several storylines were taking unexpected twists and turns when (purely for reasons of filth and depravity) our heroine and her girlfriend took off their clothes and had gratuitous sex in the shower. Don’t get me wrong; I like filth as much as the next man (provided the next man actually likes filth) but smut purely for smut’s sake in what could otherwise be a rather good TV show?
Perhaps I should re-launch neo-puritanism.

I went out into the garden and trimmed the edges of the lawn until the rain started again, then came in and dozed in front of the telly until "er indoors TM" boiled up dinner. As we scoffed it we watched this week’s episode of “Krypton”. It’s not that good…

No comments:

Post a Comment