1 September 2018 (Saturday) - Not a Sausage


I had a rather bad night; laying awake for much of it. I finally dozed off shortly before the alarm went off at 4.30am. Over a bowl of Golden Nuggets (ewww!) I watched some utter rubbish on the “Eden” channel about how continental drift is supposedly reflected in the anal fins of cichlid fish (or so some nutter would have me believe).
One lives and learns…

I got dressed and left home whist it was still dark. I collected "My Boy TM" and we went to McDonalds for McBrekkie. We sat by the window to eat brekkie so we could keep an eye on the thugs who were loitering round the car park, then we set off to Cranbrook and Hartley Lands fishery. The idea was to be first one at the gate waiting for them to open; we were first one at the gate, beating my brother and nephew by two minutes.

The bailiff soon arrived and let us in and following his guidance we set up on the “Bramley” lake. I laid out the new unhooking mat I’d got last Saturday. I set up my new pod system I got on Tuesday. I deployed my butt grips that arrived yesterday, I activated my new bite alarms that came with my brother today, cast out and hoped for the best.
There’s no denying that I dozed off once or twice, but that wasn’t a problem. Should any errant haddock take my bait, the buzzing of the bite alarm would wake me. In between dozing we had a good laugh, and watched kingfishers and herons flying about.

I took a few photos of the day, but the photos rather lacked something which is usually considered central to any fishing trip; namely fish. According to the snoopers at Google we arrived at the fishery at 06.34 am and left at 18.05 pm. In that time I had one bite that didn’t lead to anything, and that was the sum total of our piscatorial prowess today. Four of us fished (with two rods each) for eleven hours and we caught nothing. Zip! Nada!
Mind you it was good to be out in the sunshine with family. Next time we’ll try a different lake. One with fish in it, maybe? I jokingly said that to another fisherman today, and it turns out that I wasn’t far off the mark with that comment. On 9 June 2017 together with the first fruit of my loin I’d walked round Bramley lake whilst it was still being dug out. Only a year or so ago… apparently once it was filled the lake was stocked with one hundred and fifty carp. Now when you think that the lake is about the size of three or four football pitches that’s an awful lot of space for relatively few fish.
That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

On the minus side I did put my bum through my fishing chair today. I rescued my fishing chair from the tip some time ago. I had this theory that if I bought a new one (a “proper” fishing chair costs about a hundred pounds!) I would not want to get it grubby. But if I had an old tatty one I wouldn’t care about it getting covered in fish slime. It was a theory which worked until I put my bum through it today.
I need to find another knacked fishing chair…

We came home, unpacked the fishing tackle and I went to the kebab shop. "er indoors TM" had gone to sister-in-law’s birthday for the evening. I did have half a plan to follow on after fishing, but I’d probably had a tad too much sun, so I got kebab and shared it with the dogs as I watched telly.

My dogs like kebab...

No comments:

Post a Comment