5 July 2018 (Thursday) - Bit Tired


Despite being over three hours later to bed than usual last night I lay awake for some time. Perhaps the excitement of the airport run had been a tad much? I probably slept for about three hours; I was wide awake and raring to go at half past six this morning.

Over brekkie I heard that a friend of a friend had also flown in to Gatwick last night; their flight was three hours late. I can remember flying home from Vancouver eighteen years ago when the flight had been delayed for seven hours. Last night’s delay of just under an hour wasn’t *that* bad really.
I also had an email to say that someone had found that geocache I’d replaced yesterday, and also found one that was possibly missing. That’s one maintenance run I won’t have to do. However on the flip side they marked another as being possibly missing so what you gain in one hand you lose from the other…

I had thought of asking for a late shift today; bearing in mind I was raring to go so early in the day I was glad I hadn’t. I set off to work and listened to the radio. What with having the car out of action and late and weekend working I’d not listened to the morning news for over two weeks.
There was a lot of talk on the radio about how the boss of the car giant Jaguar Land Rover had announced that Brexit was damaging their company and how the firm was talking about closing plants in the UK. The pundits on the radio then wheeled on some pro-Brexit windbag who ranted that if he was the boss of Jaguar Land Rover then he would see Brexit as an opportunity, but didn't actually give any tangible reasons for saying that, nor did he in any way contradict what the boss of Jaguar Land Rover had said. It never fails to amaze me how these people can witter on loudly and confidently without actually ever saying anything.
There was also consternation about how two people in Wiltshire seem to have come into contact with the nerve poison Novichock. Again the matter was discussed at length, but the fact of the matter are that two people have been done in by the stuff and no one knows how. All else is speculation. Worrying speculation, but only speculation.
And there was all sorts of things being said about the NHS today on its seventieth birthday. Some were celebrating it, some were running it down. I for one think it's a rather good thing; I'd challenge its detractors to piss off and see if they can get such a good deal elsewhere.

I got to work and had a cuppa before getting on with the day's round. I was offered the chance to be on the telly as part of the “NHS at Seventy” thing the BBC were doing, but I thought better of the idea. I've been on telly before; fame is over-rated.
As part of the “NHS at Seventy” thing, some kind soul had made a cake for all the hospital staff. It was a really thoughtful gesture; such a shame they underestimated just how many people work in a hospital.

Once home again I took the dogs out. "My Boy TM" had been round to collect Rolo; it is amazing how much easier the walk is with two dogs rather than with three.
As we walked I saw a squirrel. Neither dog noticed the squirrel and both walked straight past him. It was only when the squirrel ran up a tree that either took any notice. I took a photo, and logged the squirrel using my “mammals” app.

"er indoors TM" came home with curry. As we scoffed it we watched the semi-final of “Bake Off; The Professionals” and the week before last’s episode of “Humans”. George Ten would seem to have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment