16 July 2018 (Monday) - Gone Fishing


We had a *really* good weekend away, but you can’t beat your own bed. And when I got up this morning I relished my morning shave. I’d forgotten to take my razor away with us and I do like to shave every day.

Over brekkie I watched some “Trailer Park Boys” and (having loaded up the car last night) I drove round to collect "My Boy TM". The plan was brekkie then fishing, but his eagle eye put a spanner in the works. The front tyre of my car was rather flat. So we drove round to the garage and pumped it up. I say “we”; he did all the pumping; after all he did a mechanic’s course at college for a year. The tyre *seemed* to pump up without problems so seeing how Kwik-Fit didn’t open for a couple of hours we drove round to Rocky’s for a fry-up.

Rocky’s do a good Full English Breakfast, and with it scoffed we came out to find the car tyre seemingly OK. "My Boy TM" kicked it (I said he’d done a mechanic’s course at college) and said it seemed OK.
I took that as expert opinion and we drove out to Hartley Lands fishery.

Regular readers of this drivel may recall a month or so ago I spend ages trying to get a trolley for all my fishing gear. Today was the trolley’s maiden voyage, and it seemed to work rather well. It didn’t break, collapse or fall over, and it was easier to drag than it is to lug all my tackle about so I saw that as a result.
We set up and started fishing…

Today was a day of two halves. We started off facing the sun, blinded by the sun. I caught a tree and a duck and a goose. In nearly fifty years of fishing I’ve never caught a duck or a goose before (I tangled one once) but today I did it twice. I was swelteringly uncomfortably hot, and we decided to move across the lake.
The afternoon was *so* much better. In the shade, away from overhanging trees… I still didn’t catch anywhere near as many fish as the first fruit of my loin, or any which were anywhere near as big as his, but we had a good day.  You can see the photos here.
We got back to the car to find the tyre was fine.

Home; just as I finished unloading the tackle, "er indoors TM" came home. We took the dogs round the park. Taking them out with an assistant is *so* much easier. As we walked we got the latest update from "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" who was laying an egg about the nursery.
Apparently the nursery teachers have been told to “do their thing” on the right-hand side of "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" because he is deaf in his left ear. That came as news to us all, but apparently was common knowledge at the nursery since they did hearing tests on all the children at Christmas time.
"Daddy’s Little Angel TM" had promptly marched "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" to the doctor who couldn’t find anything wrong with his hearing. To be on the safe side the doctor has asked for a formal audiological review at the hospital but, as he said, for non-urgent cases this could take months.
But the boy isn’t deaf. I wonder what’s going on?

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, then went bowling (as she does). I did the geology homework for the Earthcache we did in Dunkirk. I was very good and wrote a little more than my usual “blah blah blah sandstone”.
I really should have an early night, but the SkyPlus box was good enough to record “Poldark” for me last night, and if I don’t take a moral stance about the heaving of Demelza’s bosom, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment