25 July 2018 (Wednesday) - Vets, FTF


We managed a while night without a single woofing fit last night. Can you believe it?

I had to smile when I looked at Facebook this morning. There were endless warnings about the supposed dangers of dogs burning their feet on tarmac pavements. There were no end of alerts about not over-filling petrol tanks because the petrol would expand. So many people were banging on about the dangers of giving dogs ice on hot days…
Despite all of these having been shown to be wrong, people continue to circulate this rubbish..

I took the dogs round the park before it got too hot. There was a minor episode when Treacle ran into a play park and came out with what I can only describe as an elephant’s vertebra, but other than that our walk was relatively uneventful (for once).

With our walk done I ran out the hose pipe and topped up the garden pond, emptied the dishwasher, settled Fudge, and took Treacle too the vet’s; she’d developed a strange protuberance on her chest. I thought it was a tick, but the vet had a look and didn’t think so. He took her into his den and came back five minutes later having pulled a rather big thorn out of her side (followed by a small river of pus). She’s now on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for a week.
We came home where I had the job of administering the first dose of each. The antibiotic capsules are *huge*; I wondered how I would fight it into her. I wrapped it in some cheese and it all went straight down.

Neither dog took much settling, and I drove out to Great Chart for a spot of geo-maintenance. When I’d done it and got back to my car I saw another car was pulling in behind it. The driver and his mate got out. "Hello Dave" they said. I didn't recognise them, but they clearly knew me. "What you up to?" I cheerfully asked. If they mentioned my nearby geocaches then that would be how they knew me.  One of them opened the boot of his car and pulled out a metal detector and told me about a nearby Saxon burial site. I managed not to mention the TV show "Detectorists" and I drove off none the wiser. Who were these people? How did they know me? Kite-flying, scouting, snake club, astronomy, any of the myriad hobbies I've taken up and dropped over the years. I have no idea.

I drove up to Aylesford. A puzzle geocache had gone live this morning. I'd solved the puzzle over brekkie but what with having taken Treacle to the vets I didn't think I had any hope of a First to Find. I walked along the same pretty river I walked yesterday, went a bit (a lot) further, rummaged in the undergrowth, and I was the first one to find it. Happy dance!
As I walked back to my car I saw a young mother and daughter pouring over a mobile phone. The child was loudly describing a nearby geocache and asking if they'd logged it. I cheerfully smiled and asked if they were geocaching. The child hid behind mother, and mother snapped "yes" and both ran off as though I was an axe-murderer.
Oh well.. I suppose I would run if I was approached by me.

I drove on to work where I had chicken and bacon pie and baked beans (rather than McBurger) and had a rather busy day at work…

Treacle seems none the worse for her ordeal…

No comments:

Post a Comment