27 July 2018 (Friday) - Thunderstorm

There was only really one dog altercation in the night for which I was probably partly to blame. I woke to find Treacle was fast asleep on my head. I hoiked her off and inadvertently dumped her on top of Fudge who wasn’t best pleased to be so rudely awoken. But it all blew over as quickly as it started.

I got up shortly before the alarm was due to go off, and over brekkie watched another episode of “People Just Do Nothing”. I quite like this show. As I watched it so Fudge came and sat with me. He can be rather soppy when he thinks no one is watching. I then sparked up my lap-top to see what had happened on-line overnight. Several people I know seem to be on holiday in Norway at the moment. The photos look impressive; maybe that might be a future place for a week away?
With no emails of note I carried Fudge upstairs and then set off to work.

As I drove up the motorway I counted a total of four people working in the miles of motorway slow lane which had been closed off by barriers and bollards.  I say "working" - it looked like a lot of talking was going on.
As I drove I listened to the radio. What with time off and late shifts I've not heard the morning news for a while. It would seem I'd not missed much.

President Trump's ex-lawyer is apparently prepared to make statements on oath which imply that President Trump lied about his not knowing about having the Russians digging the dirt on Hilary Clinton.
For any other president this would be an earth-shattering revelation. But Trump isn't any old President; he seems to be more of a comic relief poncing about on the world stage diverting attention away from those who actually wield power (much like Zaphod Beeblebrox did in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Anything which keeps President Trump in the press limelight is good for him in that respect.

And our beleaguered Prime Minister Teresa May's Brexit plans would seem to be dead in the water. She was facing all sorts of arguments about the suggestion that supermarkets should be stockpiling food in the event of a bad outcome. Stockpiling food - has it *really* come to that? Wasn’t Brexit supposed to save the country a fortune?
It strikes me that the whole idea of Brexit has gone tits-up in that no one who advocated the thing is now actually seeing it through. Handing its implementation to people who never wanted it is surely a recipe for disaster.​ If the nation seriously needs to stockpile food for Brexit, then surely Brexit needs to be put on hold and re-thought. Right now.

I got petrol on the way to work, and then went on to Aldi for some supplies. As I queued at the till my piss boiled. There was some bloke in front of me who was making a serious mess of paying for his groceries. Whilst watching him I formed the distinct impression the chap had never actually paid for anything at a shop till before; the entire experience was clearly utterly foreign to him.​ How can anyone get to past retirement age and not have a clue about how to behave at a supermarket check-out?

Work was work; I did my bit. Once home the dogs were itching to go for a walk, but they were disappointed. It was far too hot to go out, and within half an hour of my getting home the thunderstorm started.
As the storm raged I ironed shirts whilst watching a film. “Extinction” was a Netflix original film. Released today, it was entertaining enough, but covered territory that has been done to death in sci-fi.

I’m hoping this storm will be the end of this heatwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment