24 July 2018 (Tuesday) - Water Meter, Light Switch


I slept as well as I could in the heat. This heatwave has been going on for a month or so now, and I for one have had enough of it.

I got up and put more laundry in to wash. If nothing else I can use the heatwave to dry my washing. I then had my morning’s look at the Internet to see what I’d missed overnight. Not much had happened on social media, but I did see that some new geocaches had gone live near work. I also saw that Hayley Murphy had added connections I might know on LinkedIn. Bearing in mind I have no idea who Hayley Murphy is, I found that rather unlikely.

I got the dogs organized and we went for a little walk. We barked at buses before chasing cats into allotments. We met Ralph the pug at the co-op field. As we walked round the park we saw a rather well-dressed young mother taking a littlun to play school. Mother was obviously dressed to go into a posh office and was swigging a can of Foster’s lager as she walked. How delightful.
As we came past the Hubert fountain there were still quite a few bags of rubbish laying around left over from Saturday’s “Create” festival. I’ve seen rats in that area before, and we saw them again today. I was rather surprised – the council usually do a really good job of keeping Viccie Park tidy.

Once home I hung out the washing and harvested the dog poo. I wonder if any theoretical physicists have ever studied a dog’s arse? For all the talk of creationism and big bang theories, has our old friend science not realized that far more comes out of the back end of a dog than ever goes in the front?
I then sparked up Netflix and watched an episode of “People Just do Nothing” – "My Boy TM" recommended it yesterday – it is quite good.

Just as I was getting ready to leave for work there was a knock on the door. There was a nice man from South East Water who said he *thought* he'd turned my water off - could I check. I turned the tap. Nothing came out. I told him so. He then asked (with a rather smug expression) if I realised we had a shared water supply with not-so-nice-next-door. I said I knew that, and he was rather surprised. He then had a little rant and wanted to know how long had we had had this shared water supply; he wasn't at all impressed when I said it had always been like this.
Apparently not-so-nice-next-door had a water meter fitted months ago and he'd been sent to find out why her water bill is about three times what it should be. The man from South East Water said that our having a shared supply would explain some of it. Quick as a flash I said that having new-next-door on the same supply as well (which they are) would explain the rest. All three houses are on the same supply. They always have been. I've known this since 1991 (when we moved in). Apparently this is news to the people who supply the water though, and it wasn't received well. When the nice man from South East Water finished his second rant I made the observation that this shared water supply was the reason that South East Water wouldn't let us have a water meter; they said "no" when I asked for one a few years ago.
I thought the poor bloke's brain was about to explode when I told him this. For everyone's peace of mind I closed the door on him at this point and finished getting ready for work.
I settled the dogs, and as I walked down the road to my car I tried not to laugh out loud at the nice man from South East Water who was stomping up and down the street shouting profanities into his mobile phone, and I set off in the general direction of work.

I stopped off in Aylesford to hunt for for those three new geocaches that had gone live this morning as no one had logged a First to Find. Had I not been on a late shift I would have probably been there in time to have got a First to Find on one. But I got there to find that someone had FTF-ed the lot but not said anything. Mind you it was a pretty walk along the river and it filled what might have been an otherwise dull hour or so.

Having parked in the local picnic area I popped into the little cafe to get an ice lolly on the way back to my car. There was a rather council young mother fighting with some feral children by the ice cream freezer. I got what I wanted, left them fighting and went to pay for my lolly. However the  rather council young mother seemed rather miffed that I'd gone to the till before her. I didn't get involved, but when challenged by the cafe manager she had to admit they were nowhere near ready to choose what they wanted; let alone pay. I got the distinct impression that the cafe manager didn't want their sort in his establishment... I got my ice lolly and beat a hasty retreat.

I drove past McDonalds and went to the works canteen for lunch. Quiche, broccoli and baked beans followed by yogurt. Very healthy.

A late start made for a late finish. Mind you with a late finish the traffic is quieter so I do get a better run home... until I get home when I then play "hunt the parking space". In 1991 we deliberately moved to where we now live as we didn't have a car then, and a house with a parking bay wasn't an issue.
Now it is.

As I put on my pyjamas I suddenly had a revelation. The upstairs hall light was working. That has been broken for months. "er indoors TM" fixed it when I was out on 19 May and she’s been waiting to see how long it would take for me to realise it was fixed…

No comments:

Post a Comment