21 July 2018 (Saturday) - Short Circuit

I stood on the scales this morning - I've lost two pounds since the beginning of the week. I saw that as something of a result, and then watched an episode of "Captain Underpants" as I scoffed toast. Hardly cerebral viewing, but then for all that I am a genius, I'm hardly a cerebral person.

I set off for work. The plan wasn't originally for me to be working today, but a colleague needed to get out of her shift today. And if I worked this morning she would work on one of the days in August when I was scheduled to work both days of the weekend. ​I rather saw myself getting the better part of that deal.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were discussing the ethics of factory farming. (I thought factory farming had been banned years ago) The discussion rather summed up the entire concept of my experiences of "discussion". On the one hand there was someone making money from factory farming who was (rather confrontationally) saying that if we in the UK didn't use factory farms, farmers would do it overseas and flood the UK market with their cheaper products. On the other had was someone from the league of ethical farmers (or whatever they were called) saying that this theory had been proved not to be the case and gave a few examples to prove his point. Needless to say the first chap wouldn't have any of it.
I was reminded of a conversation I'd had yesterday in which I was told (quite firmly) that I was wrong when I'd asserted that the British population had been asked about membership of the Common Market and I was that assured (rather aggressively) that the referendum in 1975 about the UK's continued membership of the common market never took place. Even though it did and it is in the history books.
What can you do when someone flatly refuses to accept factual evidence?

There was also talk of Brexit. there is talk of little else on the radio these days. It seems that the consensus  of opinion (amongst those who know about this sort of thing) is that no deal will be reached between the UK and the EU before the deadline for the UK's leaving is reached. Most people with any vested interest in the matter are preparing for the UK to "bomb out" of the EU next March. However the politicians being interviewed seemed to feel that a "no deal" status would be an incredibly temporary position as having a deal is in everyone's interests. Everyone was of the opinion that finding themselves with no international trading deals, the EU and the UK would very quickly cobble something workable together.
If that actually is plausible, why is the UK farting about wasting three years before actually implementing the departure?

I got to work. I did my bit. At tea break I scoffed a chocolate croissant that the boss had brought in. Work wasn't too bad today - but what with the vagaries of my shift system today had been the fifth consecutive day I'd been at work. Whilst most people work five consecutive days every week, I find that rather hard these days.

I came home and hunted for somewhere to park. The council's "Create" festival was taking place in the park today and some idiot at the council had made a rather serious mistake on the map they'd drawn giving directions to the park. If you used this map to get to the festival from the general direction of the Outlet centre (like hundreds of people would) you would find yourself wrongly directed up past my house to get there.
I got home to find an empty house - "er indoors TM" had taken the dogs out. I took the opportunity to have a little doze in front of the telly. I wasn’t feeling one hundred per cent.

They all came home; we had some dinnder, settled the dogs and set off out. I was in two minds about going out as was feeling iffy, but I’m glad I went out. Steve and Sarah gave us a lift down to Dover where Matt and James’s latest band “Short Circuit” were having their first gig. Playing songs from the eighties they were rather good. Mind you I did find myself biting my tongue; I’ve been following their bands for twenty years and I’ve always hollered “show us your tits” at Matt. Bearing in mind their new young lady singer I thought that might be a tad inappropriate (I can do tact, me).
Again, though I was amazed at how quiet the pub was (apart from the band and followers). Had the locals not come in because of the band? There weren’t many people who weren’t there as a friend of the band.
Matt (the lead singer of tonight’s band) once told me that getting in a band was the death knell of any pub – a last desperate attempt to get punter in. He may well be right…

No comments:

Post a Comment