26 February 2018 (Monday) - Back to Work

I slept rather well last night. Probably not surprising after that walk. Mind you I was still wide awake at five o’clock.
Over brekkie I watched an episode of “Dad’s Army”; the SkyPlus box had been saving them up for me. In today’s episode our heroes had been chosen for “special duties”. And with their special duties done I had a quick look at the Internet. There was little of note on Facebook. People were posting all sorts of political stuff, but very few people were posting anything of interest. And with no emails worth mentioning I got dressed. In years gone by I would have had a serious sulk about going back to work, but not any more. I quite like not feeling physically sick at the thought of going to work.

It was very cold as I set off this morning, but there was no frost on the car. Too cold for frost? Usually I'm scraping the ice when the thermometer reads minus four. I went to the petrol station on the ring road to re-fuel. I would need petrol in a day or so anyway, but with the forecast snowmageddon I was taking no chances with the #beastfromtheeast which is the phrase for the coming snowstorm.
I hate hashtags.

Pausing very briefly for geo-reasons I was soon on the way to work. As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were spewing their usual brand of drivel. I like having Radio Four's current affairs programs on my way to and from work. It is the only way I keep abreast of what is going on in the big wide world. But for a lot of the time they might as well just say "blah blah blah" for all that much of their output appeals to me.
There was an article of some interest though. Apparently Jeremy Corbyn is to make a speech today outlining exactly how he would do Brexit if he was Prime Minister. Word is he's changed his mind as to what he might do as a sop to the rebel Conservative MPs, and the pundits on the radio were of the opinion that what he says might appeal to enough Conservative MPs to defeat the government in some vote or other. If that were the case the Prime Minister might be forced to call a general election....
The opinion expressed on the radio by several people was that Mr Corbyn was more interested in defeating the Prime Minister than he was in delivering a sensible policy. Isn't this true of all politicians - they get so wrapped up in playing silly beggars with procedural matters that they lose sight of actually running an effective government.
There was an interview with another politician who publicly described those who disagreed with her as "swivel-eyed-loons". And we vote for these people.

As I drove to work I was stuck behind a lorry of the Paulo Duarte company. It was somewhat frustratingly driving at twenty-five miles an hour in national speed limit zones. My morning drive to work took me nearly two hours this morning.
I got to work and spent much of the day looking out of the window at a bright winter’s day. The snow started on my way home. Will it lay? The BBC’s radio forecasters say there will be up to ten centimetres of the stuff by the morning. The BBC’s website is far less scaremongering about it. I wonder how it will go? Time will tell – it always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment