8 March 2019 (Friday) - Stupid Dog


I didn’t sleep very well last night. I’d been rather uncomfortable for much of yesterday. That lasagne I had at lunch time hadn’t been sitting well, and it was with something of a sense of blessed relief that I came out of “Trap One” this morning.
Over a bowl of granola I watched last night’s episode of “Still Game” then I sparked up the lap-top. Nothing much had happened in cyber-space overnight so I did some more of my on-line botany course before setting off to work.

As I walked out of the house, not-so-nice next door was scraping the ice from her car. She glared at me as though I was the sh*t on her shoe. I walked fifty yards up the road to my car which had no ice on it. The weather up our road can be very localised.

As I drove towards Pembury I listened to the drivel on the radio. The pundits were interviewing a head teacher of a London school who was describing the dire straits her school was in. Because of lack of funding for the school, this head teacher was doubling up as a cleaner and as a dinner-lady. Someone from the Department of Education had sent the radio presenters a letter claiming that school funding was at an all-time high. The head teacher being interviewed spoke of a letter signed by seven thousand head teachers claiming that school funding is woefully inadequate. The pundits had done some research and had come up with official figures which did show that that school funding was at an all-time high. And they had also come up with other official figures showing that funding of schools was now considerably lower than it was ten years ago.
"official figures", eh?
The pundits on the radio then wheeled on Jeremy Hunt to discuss the ongoing Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe case. Basically this woman's been in prison in Iran for several years for allegedly trying to topple the Iranian government. Or so the Iranian Government say. She says she was being a journalist. I can't help but feel that Iran would be a place to stay away from, and her case would illustrate  that sentiment admirably.
To be honest I didn't really pay that much attention to what was being said; Jeremy Hunt boils my piss too much. Anyone who is dependent on him for help must be in a bad place.
The "Thought For The Day" made me laugh. The vicar that they had on this morning banged on about how he always admired magicians when he was a child because they made the impossible look real (even though it wasn't). He said that he wanted to be a magician, but he became a vicar instead because the magic was better. He seemed to gloss over that although the claims of vicars are far more preposterous than those of magicians, they are all equally just make-believe.

I broke my journey just outside of Goudhurst. A new geocache had appeared there since I last drove along the A262. I got to the place where my new geo-app said to go, and sure enough there was the little plastic tub. Laying on the grass at the base of a post with absolutely nothing at all to cover it.
Regular readers of this drivel may remember that last Thursday I was less than impressed with how a scout group had thrown a plastic tub at a fence in Bilsington. Today's cache had been thrown down by the same scout group. I've ranted before about how scout groups shouldn't be playing the hiding Tupperware game...

I got to work, and did my bit. It never fails to amaze me how much quicker my phone goes flat when I'm working in Pembury. I suppose that is a feature of working in the basement. At tea break I saw that "er indoors TM" had posted a picture onto Facebook. The "Terrible Twins" had found a stash of Easter eggs at home and all seven Easter eggs had been scoffed. This was rather worrying in two ways. Firstly chocolate isn't good for dogs. And secondly where had "er indoors TM" found to stash so many Easter eggs without me knowing about them?
I was somewhat delayed getting home. Whenever I drive home from work I have Google Drive on so it can tell me of any delays. This evening it diverted me through all the back roads round Horsmonden because of road works on the A21. This was probably for the best. I came home to find "er indoors TM" with mops and buckets at full power. She’d come home to a house full of dog sick. Treacle and Fudge were both fine but Pogo was looking very sorry for himself and seems to be amazingly thirsty. As well he might be. It is no secret who scoffed all the chocolate.
The vet said that we should take him in to be checked. But when they said that all they would do would be to look at him and bill us a hundred and sixty quid, I asked what were the danger signs. The vet said to watch for him being listless and lethargic. He does look very sorry for himself, and seems to be on quite the sugar rush. He’s drinking constantly and has eaten his tea. The vet agreed that we can monitor him, and if he takes a turn for the worse then we should take him in.

Did I ever mention that I didn’t want any dogs…

No comments:

Post a Comment