31 March 2019 (Sunday) - Early Shift


I had something of a restless night which wasn’t helped by having to get up very early for an early shift which was further complicated by the clocks having gone forward. Seeing that my SkyPlus box had recorded the entire second season of “Uncle” for me, I watched the first episode then got ready for work.

I set off towards work. The roads were rather quiet, as they are at seven o'clock on a Sunday morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were still discussing Brexit as they do. At the moment the only certain thing about Brexit is that no one has a clue about what will happen next. Mind you, one thing is certain - future generations will look back and wonder what we were thinking of.
There was also talk about how measles is now a serious health issue in parts of America where people are choosing not to vaccinate their children. Some people are claiming that vaccinations go against their religious beliefs (but are utterly unable to explain why) whilst others are refusing vaccinations for their children out of plain arrogance. Can you believe that we are in the twenty-first century with the ability to put people on the Moon, and the ability to perform live organ transplants, and still people are allowing their children to die because they are choosing to be so stupid?

I got to work; I thought about having the full English breakfast but thought better of it. I got on with the morning's tasks. As I worked I looked out of the window at a rather drab day. We certainly had the best weather for going for a walk yesterday. It wasn’t a bad shift really.

Rather than coming home I drove round to "My Boy TM" and his branch of the tribe. He’d collected "er indoors TM" earlier for a Mother’s Day thingy and she was making serious inroads into a bottle of plonk.
The first fruit of my loin has acquired a hot tub. I say “hot tub”; personally I think the name is somewhat misleading. I had a go – it was on the cold side. I was shivering after five minutes. I gave it ten minutes then got out. I might try again when it warms up a little (both inside and outside the tub). However it is possible that "My Boy TM" was being unfair to the hot tub’s heater as there was perhaps a tad too much water in it. I took the opportunity to expound on Archimedes’ principle. The science fell on deaf ears until we got into the tub and all the water overflowed. Science is far better presented in demonstration than lecture(!).
I’m reliably informed that sitting in a hot tub is an ideal way to relax on a warm summer’s evening. I rather thought that after ten minutes of sitting in the thing I had pretty much exhausted the thing’s possibilities.

We came home; I might have an early night. What with the clocks going forward and an early start and perhaps too much hot tub I’m feeling rather under the weather…

No comments:

Post a Comment