17 March 2019 (Sunday) - Lynsted Revisited


As I looked at Facebook over brekkie it seemed that there were some rugby matches yesterday. It was somewhat ironic that many of those who were most vocal about the things were those who have been very vocal in their opposition to a second Brexit referendum. This made me think…
Italy played France yesterday. According to Wikipedia this is the forty-first time that this has been played, and the vast majority of the matches were won by France.
Ireland played Wales yesterday. Wikipedia would have us believe these two countries are more evenly matched, with Wales winning sixty-eight previous matches to Ireland’s fifty-one.
And England played Scotland. Again. England having won seventy-five previous encounters; Scotland forty-three times and eighteen matches have been drawn.
So… dare I ask… having played these same games so many times before, why on earth did they need to be played again?

I then had a look at my emails. Amazon have been hounding me to leave reviews on stuff I’ve bought from them. Have you ever read any reviews on Amazon? So many of them are just so ridiculously unbelievable. How can anyone be gushing with praise and over-excitement about how wonderful their mundane purchase was. I seriously considered putting “the landing net I bought was so brilliant I wet myself with excitement” but thought better of it. However the trouble is this: what *can* I say which is honest but not ridiculous? “I bought a landing net which does the job” is rather dull. And anything short of expressing undying love and adulation is seen as very disrespectful on the part of the seller. This is particularly true with e-books on Amazon. Seemingly each one now ends with a note from the author begging for good reviews.

I was just about to get myself organised to go out when I received an email. A new geocache had gone live which (from the description) might well have been in the general vicinity of where we would be walking today. I wasted forty minutes solving a puzzle to find it was fifteen miles distant. Oh dear.

We got into the car and drove to Sainsburys for petrol and cash. Yet again the money machine didn’t give me a receipt. It never does.
It wasn’t long before we were in Lynsted where we met Karl, Tracey and Charlotte. They’d met other friends who were also tracking down the elusive Tupperware.

Last week’s walk had taken us past a rather good pub, but from there we didn’t have enough time to look for all the caches in the area. We deliberately left a loop of a dozen caches for another time. And with some of us feeling a tad under the weather, that short series was ideal for today. Bearing in mind the overnight rain I walked in wellies; but the ground wasn’t *that* soggy. The country lanes were covered in mud, though. It was a good walk; the dogs were able to run free for much of it. And we even found a rather good sheltered place to picnic whilst the rain shower passed.
You can see photos from our walk by clicking here.
It was a shame that "er indoors TM"’s new sat-nav was still playing up. I wonder if the nice people at Garmin might be able to help us with it?
After a couple of hours we were back where we started. A rather short walk by our standards, but this cold-thing I’ve got had left me rather breathless and my right leg was aching rather a lot (I wish I knew why), so we went into the beer garden of the Black Lion for a pint or two. Goacher’s dark ale is good stuff; ideal for washing down the crisps and peanuts.

We took a rather circuitous route home what with road works on the A20. Once home I spent a little time preparing the pots and assorted containers for the new geo-series I am hoping to put out this week. It is amazing how long it takes to wrap some camo-tape round some plastic tubs.
I spent a little while looking at the geo-map vaguely thinking about planning another geo-series, then did some more Coursera – do plants feel? They certainly respond to touch, but do they feel pain? I don’t know.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we devoured whilst watching last week’s episode of “The Orville”, and then I did more of my plants course.
I failed the test on this section. Twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment