13 March 2019 (Wednesday) - Rostered Day Off


I slept rather well; over a bowl of granola I channel-hopped on the telly eventually settling on “Butterflies” which was being broadcast on the UK Gold channel. Our Latin teacher used to rave about the show forty years ago (I have an “O”-level in Latin you know!).
I thought the show was crap back then, and my opinion hasn’t changed with time.

I had a little look at the Internet. Not much was happening on Facebook which was probably for the best. I had quite a few emails, but none which I really wanted. I saw a new geocache had gone live in Ruckinge, but I got a First to Find for this month yesterday. Others are wanting to keep monthly streaks going, so I left it for them. I’m currently on a four-month FTF streak. I once managed twenty-three months.

The plan for today was provisionally to go out and hide geocaches on the new series that I’m planning, but I hadn’t got everything ready so I thought that might keep till later. Instead I took the dogs down to Orlestone woods again. We had a rather good walk despite the mud. In over two hours we hardly saw anyone; just two other dog-walkers. But both encounters passed off without incident. Treacle did hide in terror from one of the other dogs, which is ironic bearing in mind how much she bullies Pogo.
As we walked I realised that these woods would be ideal for a geo-stroll, so I looked out a few suitable places for hiding Tupperware. I noted down over twenty good places to hide pots.

After five miles we found ourselves back at the car, and we drove home. The dogs were filthy, so they had a bath. They didn’t complain much really. I scoffed a sandwich whilst watching this week’s episode of “Alan Partridge” then made a start on organising that geo-series around Orlestone woods. Being Forestry Commission land, I knew I would need special permission so I messaged Gordon for advice. He sent through some useful websites and I made a start organising and calculating geo-projections. Two hours later Gordon messaged me. I’d stuffed up on the Magic Map. The entire area I was planning to use is a site of special scientific interest, and so no Tupperware would be allowed under any rocks anywhere near the place without all sorts of permissions.
I’ve phoned the nice people at Natural England and shall wait patiently for them to tell me “no”.

I took a deep breath and carried on working on the geo-project that I had been working on earlier in the week. It is now effectively ready; all I have to do is go out and hide the things. I’m provisionally thinking of doing that next Thursday.

I then went down the road to Curry’s/PC World where I got a bit irate. Last week I spoke with the fix-it people in Curry’s/PC World about my lap-top’s keyboard. Since I bought the thing in July 2016 I’ve been paying a monthly fee to get it fixed just in case it goes tits-up. It’s not broken, it’s just that regular on-line ranting on my part has taken its toll on the thing; specifically the “A”. “S” ,“H” and “L” keys. They work just fine; it’s just that the actual letter has worn off of each of those keys.
Last week the nice man on the fix-it counter said this was a common problem, and I should take the thing in and he’d pop a new keyboard in. Unfortunately the nice man wasn’t there today. Instead they had the officious jobsworth on duty. He had never heard of the lettering of a key wearing off (the implication was that I had been doing something unwholesome with the “A”. “S” ,“H” and “L” keys). He was sure that wear and tear on the letters was not covered by any guarantee. I said I didn’t care about guarantees and that I’d pay if I had to. Seeing that his shallow attempt to get me to piss off had failed, he grudgingly phoned head office. After an incredibly long time he told me that he would send the lap-top off to them. It would be away for a week, and that his company couldn’t guarantee not to totally bollox the thing up. I told him I’d take it somewhere else, to which he replied that anyone else fiddling with it would invalidate the warranty. He had no reply at all when I asked him what the warranty was worth if his own company might well knacker the thing.
The officious jobsworth was adamant that they’d *never* done in-store servicing and repairs when they most certainly have, and I was told when I bought my lap-top that most repairs would be done whilst I waited.
If any of my loyal readers know how to install a new keyboard onto an HP laptop… And if any of my loyal readers have anything guaranteed by pissy world, I’d suggest the check the small print.

I came home and had a cuppa whilst I calmed down. I planned a little adventure for tomorrow morning before the late shift, then completed the next section of my Coursera course. I passed the test first time this time.

"er indoors TM" came home and knocked up some rather good scran which we scoffed whilst watching “Derry Girls”.
For a rostered day off I’ve been rather busy… I’m feeling rather worn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment