6 March 2019 (Wednesday) - Planning for Brexit


Apart from a minor disturbance in the small hours when the dogs were running up and down the stairs I manged to get a decent night’s sleep. I wish I could get that more often.
Over brekkie I watched this week’s episode of the new series of “Alan Partridge”; whilst I do like the character, in many ways it is very much “more of the same”. The most recent series of “Red Dwarf” were like that; entertaining, but just re-hashes of what has gone before.

I watched the first video in my Coursera botany course, then had a look at Facebook as I do most mornings. There was quite a bit of comment about the mess the dogs had made of the dustbin, I was told that you can get dog-proof bins. That might be an investment.
I checked my emails. LinkedIn were spouting management drivel. If I wasn’t so close to retirement I wonder if I might see if Coursera do courses in management-speak so I could understand what was being said. LinkedIn is a foreign language to me.
Amazon was trying to sell me that which I’d already bought, and with no other emails of note I got dressed and set off to work.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing the American Ambassador to London. They challenged him about some disparaging remarks he'd made about Brexit, but (to be fair to the bloke) the remarks he'd made were fair. Brexit *is* a total balls-up. The chap spoke eloquently for five minutes, which is more than most of the people they interview most mornings.
They also interviewed one of the leading lights of the Chinese tech giant Huawei. Apparently no western government wants anything to do with Huawei as they are seen as a security risk. This chap disproved every allegation that was made about his company, and made the accusation that by bad-mouthing Huawei, Nokia and Sony_Erikson stand to profit.
He's probably got a point. Thinking about it, this is probably obvious. Have you noticed the bad press that McDonalds often get when none of the other burger chains ever get any stick?

I stopped off at Aldi to get supplies. Jam, marmalade and armpit-squirt. I totally forgot to get sugar, granola and bum-wipe. Oh well.

I got to work to find a colleague swearing. She'd arrived at work at the same time as me only to find she was on the late shift today. And consequently at work four and a half hours too early. Whoops.
She wasn't much happier later when she told us that she'd spent the morning trying to referee a squabble amongst the local school's mother's Whatsapp group about an alleged outbreak of nits at the school. I remember those days when there were rumours of nits at schools. To be fair to the fruits of my loin, I don't remember them having nits, but I have a vague memory of threatening one or other of them with insecticidal dog shampoo.
The boss also told us that we should think about what might affect our journeys to work after Brexit. My plans are to drive up the motorway every day like I do already, but it was suggested that the motorway might be blocked with queues of lorries formed from aggro at the docks. I've given the matter some sage concentration and got dispensation to be flexible with my hours if I need to get the train, and in a spirit of helpfulness I've suggested that I might look at designs for a dog-sled as a fall-back position.
It has been suggested that I'm possibly not taking this as seriously as I might...

The journey home was much easier than yesterday’s. Once home I walked the dogs round the block, then did some more of my Coursera course.
"er indoors TM" boiled up sausages and chips which we devoured with a bottle of plonk whist watching an episode of our latest discovery. “Derry Girls” is rather good…

No comments:

Post a Comment