19 March 2019 (Tuesday) - Book Reviews

I slept reasonably well, but was still wide awake an hour before the alarm was due to sing at me. I got up and watched two more episodes of “Love Death and Robots”. Each episode is rather short and rather absorbing. In just one day I’ve got a third of the way through the first season.

I then had a look at Facebook and defriended yet another hate-monger. This was one who loudly and regularly bangs on about being a Christian, but like quite a few Christians, he never practises what he preaches. I was tempted to ask why he felt that the European Union was any way reminiscent of Hitler’s Third Reich? The only similarity that I could see is that they both are across the sea. But for many people in today’s Britain, coming from over the other side of the English Channel is reason enough to hate.
Such a shame.
Mind you, with him gone I’ve still got over five hundred other people on my friends list, so I doubt I’ll miss him.
I also had an email from LinkedIn asking if I would like to send a message of congratulations to Ledina Mino who was now been working Pegasus Med Laboratory for five years. I drafted a message to LinkedIn asking who Ledina Mino was, and where and what was “Pegasus Med Laboratory” but then I saw the email had come from one of those no-reply email accounts. I suppose they do that deliberately.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were blathering about Brexit (yet again). Apparently the Prime Minister *isn't* going to be allowed to waste any more Parliamentary time squabbling about her moribund Brexit deal because it has already had the thumbs-down twice before. To support his position in saying "NO!!" the speaker of the House of Commons has cited all sorts of historical precedents going back to 1604. There are those who think this is a bad thing. There are those who think it pedantic, or even ridiculous. However this is what you get from having a Parliamentary democracy with rules. Perhaps the rules are rubbish, but they are British rules (!) (You'd think that the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson would be pleased about that!)
There was also talk about the terrorist atrocity in New Zealand last weekend. The New Zealand premier has said that she will not speak the name of the perpetrator of the terror attack as this just gives him posthumous publicity. I think she's right. Interestingly this isn't a new idea. I wonder if she has read Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" books?

I got to work; I did my bit. Over lunch break I finished my e-book. And following on from last week's rant about National Book Week I'm going to be a bit more vocal about what books I like and what books I don't. "Do You Dream of Terra Two?" by Temi Oh had been appearing in adverts on my Facebook feed for some weeks. I downloaded it thinking it was a decent sci-fi book. It wasn't. It was effectively a teenage angst story set in outer space written by someone with a very dubious grasp on orbital mechanics. Whilst it is rather simplistic to give a book a score, a score is what Amazon want. I'd be hard pressed to give it more than two out of five.
Talking of which, a week or so ago I mentioned about a little book-related project I started. I worked on it a little bit more. You can see what I’ve been reading recently by clicking here.

I came home. "er indoors TM" was a little late, so she came home via the chip shop. We scoffed cod and chips whilst watching this week’s celebrity Bake-Off. I say “celebrity” Bake-Off. Johnny Vegas is famous, but with him was an MP, an athlete, and some very noisy idiot who left half-way through. I looked the bloke up on the Internet. He’s apparently a rapper. I think they missed off the “c”…

No comments:

Post a Comment