15 October 2018 (Monday) - Early Shift


I gave up trying to sleep at five o’clock and got up. Over brekkie I watched an episode of “Big Mouth” before sparking up my lap-top. Pretty much nothing had happened on Facebook, and I had no emails… but was it too early?

There was an embarrassing five minutes whilst I tried to remember what I had done with my car, but soon I was on my way to work through a rather dark, wet and foggy morning. As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing some hippy-type about the start of fracking somewhere up north. The hippy-type was probably right about how fracking goes utterly against all the green initiatives announced by the government last week. It is somewhat annoying how despite their usually needing a wash and a shave, hippy-types are generally right about what a stuff-up humanity is making of the environment.
But all the time the punters want to use so much leccie, the power has to come from somewhere. If only the hippy-types could come up with an answer for that one...

There was also talk about the cost of drugs to the National Health Service. Apparently a course of treatment for hepatitis C which costs the NHS thirty-five thousand pounds can be purchased in Australia for eight thousand pounds. I would have said that this shows that it pays to shop around, but some financial analyst windbag was on the radio explaining that this is market forces in action. People pay as much for any given item as they think it is worth. This (somehow) justifies charging an absolute fortune for something that costs pence to make because people value their health so much. And furthermore justifies why you can charge more for healthcare for children (!)
Logic is a wonderful thing. I wish I had money to invest in the pharmaceutical industry. Or in spouting rubbish live on national radio.

And there was talk about Boris Johnson's throwing rocks at the Prime Minister's attempts to salvage something from the Brexit negotiations (which took a turn for the worse at the weekend). Bearing in mind just what a large role Mr Johnson played in getting the country into this state both in the Brexit referendum and then as Foreign Secretary I would really have expected more from him. Or perhaps not, now we've seen his true colours.

I got to work despite awful traffic on the M20. Today was an early shift. I like those. I would have liked it better had I not walked in to something of an emergency. But things eventually calmed down. ​
An early start made for an early finish, and with an early finish I was able to walk the dogs round the park whilst it was still light.
As we walked a passing cyclist asked I’d seen the little stray dog and did I know whose dog it was… It’s not the first time that Fudge has been taken for a stray as he bimbles so far behind. And then a passing six-year-old went hysterical because (he claimed) both dogs were trying to bite him. I was intrigued as to how they could be trying to bite him from twenty yards away when they were both ignoring him. I thought about asking but decided it best not to get involved.

And with "er indoors TM" off out for the evening I caught up on watching the telly. I’ve now seen all of the second season of “Big Mouth” and the most recent episodes of “South Park” and “The Good Place”.
I really need a new series to watch on Netflix…

No comments:

Post a Comment