6 October 2018 (Saturday) - Late Shift



I woke up feeling like death. I was all-in after a surprisingly long day yesterday, and finding myself constantly nodding off in front of the telly I had an early night…
The moment my head hit the pillow the dogs started barking. I got up, settled them, went back to bed, and they started again. This went on until nearly eleven o’clock; they were fine all the time I was in the living room but the moment I went upstairs they would go berserk. Eventually I had a rather intense shout at them (which you probably heard) and they finally shut up.

I came downstairs where both dogs were rather pleased to see me. Over brekkie I had a little look-see on the Internet. With the possibility of a crafty half next Saturday I had a look on the Internet to see if there were any new micro-pubs locally. I wasn’t really surprised to find that the CAMRA guide was *very* incomplete. I can remember going on a pub crawl with Brian and being told by the landlord of one of the best pubs I’ve ever visited that his pub would never be on any CAMRA list as he wouldn’t suck up to the local committee. Looking at the CAMRA website I saw that Blakes of Dover was missing, as was Kipps’ alehouse from Folkestone and a rather good place in Canterbury that I once found and would like to find again.
I sparked up Facebook which didn’t disappoint. There is one chap on my “friends” list. TO be honest I barely know the chap. He’s an acquaintance of a friend tat I’ve met in a pb three or four times, but he makes for such entertainment on social media. His girlfriend clearly hates him and is often “entertaining other gentlemen”. This chap puts all the sordid details on social media for all to read. Who needs the TV soaps when you have this!

We took the dogs for a quick walk round the park. As we walked we met all sorts of other dogs that we had never met before. Going round Viccie Park at the same time (as we do) means we miss all sorts of other dogs (and people).

I was a tad disappointed when I walked out to my car to find a bird turd on the bonnet. Yesterday (as part of the cam-belt overhaul) the nice people at the garage had given the car a really good clean-up. Such a shame to find its gleam marred by avian foulage. Mind you, if all I can find to grumble about is a starling's dump, life can't be *that* bad, can it?

With utter drivel on the radio I turned it off and listened to (and howled along to) my rather awful music as I drove up the motorway. I took a little diversion to Sainsbury's to get some petrol and did have a little chuckle as I paid in the kiosk. As well as petrol, I got a sandwich for the evening. The chap at the counter told me that the sandwich wasn't part of the meal deal even though the sign on the shelf and the sandwich's label said it was. I said that I wasn't overly fussed either way, but this bloke wouldn't let it go. He kept on and on about how if I wanted the meal deal I would have to get another sandwich. As I explained that I didn't care, so the queue behind me grew and grew.

I got to work with a few minutes to spare, and my heart sank when I saw there was half a dozen normal people infesting the servery. As I arrived one asked for pie. She got given a pie on a plate. She handed the plate back and asked for runner beans as well. She got given the plate back with runner beans. She then passed it back again asking for chips to be added. And then did the same with her mate's meal.
The rest of the idiots were randomly blundering about; noisily shouting that they wanted sandwiches but seemingly unable to walk up to the counter (not two yards away) where the sandwiches were obviously on display.
Eventually I got myself another of those rather good pizzas. I had spicy beef today; I liked it. As I scoffed it the normal people (who had eventually been fed) were loudly complaining about how expensive the food was. Expensive? - eight of them were having a serious pig-out for less than forty quid. I considered telling them to shut their rattle, but "not my circus; not my monkeys".
How do I attract these idiots? I don't intend to... does anyone else find their life full of these "delightful people" or has God (in his wisdom) given me everyone else's share?

I went in to work and had a rather busy shift. Still, being busy keeps my mind off of sin. I'm too old to be thinking of that sort of thing anyway. As I worked I looked out of the window at the rain. It had been dry this morning; this afternoon was a very miserable day in Maidstone. The ideal weekend day to work really.

As I drove home I turned on the radio hoping for great things; there was a dull play about soldiers in the first world war, so I carried on squalling along to my music. The roads were very wet, and for some odd reason the police were blocking our road. I joined a queue of traffic at the end of the road, and after ten minutes the police then let us pass.
I wonder what that was all about?

I got home to find "er indoors TM" had bought me a snow-dog key ring…

No comments:

Post a Comment