25 October 2018 (Thursday) - Ironing and Murderers


Having turned her alarm off on Monday morning, "er indoors TM" nearly overslept this morning. Woops!
I set the washing machine loose on more laundry, and over brekkie had my usual look-see at the Internet to find out what I’ve missed.
It would seem that the Ashford Snowdogs have been incredibly popular, with over a hundred thousand more people visiting Ashford in September than in August (according to the local council’s figures).
On a more serious note there are rumours of the local accident and emergency department closing. A petition has been started to keep the thing open. Much as I agree with the sentiment in theory, in practice are three A&E departments across the local health Trust sustainable? Contrary to what the public thinks there are *far* more people than just doctors and nurses involved in an A&E department. For many years these roles (as well as the doctor and nurse roles) have been entirely dependent on immigrant workers filling them; especially in the skilled professions such as theatre technicians, pharmacists, biomedical scientists to say nothing of the porters and cleaners. And it is no secret that these people are now all going home in droves.
What *do* we as a nation do when every single application for a highly skilled position comes from overseas or when there are no applications at all? Do we implement something like National Service where people are forced to undertake up to six years training and then do these jobs when they can get twice as much money driving a train? Or do we tell the current staff that they are expected to work overtime and not be allowed weekends or evenings off?
Here’s a suggestion (not that I’m bitter) - those that seriously oppose the hospital closure take a pay cut and be prepared to work nights weekends, bank holidays and Christmas and spend years training for a job in which the slightest error has them sacked and then crucified by the local press and social media…
The closures aren’t about saving money… they are about pooling very limited resources. No one seems to realise that.

Almost exactly sixteen hours after getting home from holiday the dogs finally got up and went to the garden for tiddle time. As they had got up I got their leads on and we went for a walk. The road looked odd; with the road markings being re-painted today there were “no parking” restrictions. Where normally there are dozens of cars parked up our road, this morning there were three. And they all had parking tickets.
Our morning walk was equally lonely. As we went round the park we only met one other dog and a handful of people. Where was everyone?

With walk done the dogs scoffed their brekkie, and I settled them and went on a little mission. Firstly to the fishing tackle shop for supplies. Whilst there they gave me a loyalty card; I get one penny credit for every pound I spend there. It might not sound much but I’ve whinged before about how much fishing tackle costs. Just a few odds and ends sent me back twenty quid today. Bearing in mind I put my arse through my fishing seat the last time we went I really needed a fishing seat. The ones in the tackle shop were nearly a hundred quid. Stuff that! You can get folding garden chairs for a tenner…
Let me re-phrase that.
Folding garden chairs cost a tenner. But neither B&M, Argos, Bybrook barn nor Dobbies had any. I tried all of them. As I drove round town I narrowly avoided being run off the road by an arrogant twit of a lorry driver who flatly was *not* going to give way to an ambulance with lights and sirens going.
I couldn’t find a new chair anywhere - I’ve dug an old camping chair out of a lock-up. That will do.

Once home I hung out more washing and put more in to scrub, then mowed the lawn. That took some doing. Bearing in mind it is October it hasn’t stopped growing. I had a quick spot of lunch, then spent the afternoon doing the ironing whilst watching “Full Metal Jacket”.

"Daddy’s Little Angel TM" phoned this evening. She’d just had a customer in her shop who was in a serious rush. The chap said he had a cab waiting but needed a beer right away as he had just murdered someone. "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" made light of it, but something in the fellow’s eyes frightened her, so with the chap gone off in his cab she phoned me. I’d know what to do.
Not really having had *that* much experience with murderers I said to phone the police and tell them.
She phoned me back an hour later. She’d phoned the police, and two coppers were in the shop before she’d put the phone down. Literally. They took a statement and a copy of the CCTV footage.
Was there a murder…?

No comments:

Post a Comment