24 October 2018 (Wednesday) - Hatchet Pond... and home.


As I emptied the dishwasher this morning the dogs came to see me. Treacle was carrying one of "er indoors TM" trainers. Once I’d had my morning ablution I saw that Treacle was carrying one of Charlotte’s shoes and "er indoors TM"‘s trainer was laying half-way down the garden.
During the few minutes before everyone else got up I had a quick look at the Internet. As I perused cyberspace Treacle brought me one of Karl’s shoes.
I was rather sad to see that the first geocache I ever found had been archived through neglect. I sent an email to the geo-feds to see if I can take it on, and it was then that people got up and brekkie started in earnest. I scoffed my toast, loaded as much as I could into the car, and then we all went for a little wander. Our cottage was right next to Hatchet pond (what a wonderful name – was it named for an axe-murderer?) and we thought that an hour or so wandering round the pond would be just right for out last day.

The walk didn’t start well with Treacle picking a fight with a herd of swans, and then both dogs found a muddy swamp which exceeded the expectations of even their staunchest fans. Having packed the dog towels, I wasn’t overly keen on getting them out for dog bath time, so we chucked stones into the cleaner bits of the pond until the hounds washed themselves clean. Treacle does get over-excited and tends to nip when playing stones and water; we need to do something about that.
As we walked we met more wild ponies and horses and going completely against all the signs and warnings "er indoors TM" stroked one.
And with horse stroked we had ice creams. I had monkey blood on mine. Does no one else call the strawberry sauce “monkey blood”?
I took a few photos as we wandered round the pond. It was beautiful. On reflection so is Viccie Park, but I know Viccie Park and go there all the time.

A quick sandwich for lunch, and we said our goodbyes. Everyone else is staying till the end of the week, but "er indoors TM"’s works leave calendar was tight and she’s back to the grind tomorrow.
The drive home was straightforward, if dull. We’d broken up the journey down but we came straight home so as to avoid most of the traffic. Six or seven hours there; two and a half hours home.

We’ve had a *really* good holiday. I miss the New Forest already… 

No comments:

Post a Comment