1 October 2018 (Monday) - Geoffrey


Despite having intentions to spend yesterday evening watching all sorts of drivel on the telly I fell asleep five minutes into the first bit of drivel I put on the telly and so had an early night. Mind you I was wide awake at five o’clock this morning.
Over a bit of brekkie I watched the most recent episode of “Vanity Fair” in which Becky’s bosom heaved a little. Not much but she was having a go, which was the main thing. Captain Dobbin is showing some interest in sniffing round Amelia; it won’t end well.

I sparked up Facebook and saw that “Maria Tensriana” was still flaunting her wares on social media despite my having complained to the Facebook feds that graphic pictures of her hobby of (pork) sword-swallowing wasn’t perhaps the most suitable of things to show.
The photos I’d taken on yesterday’s walk had received a few “likes”, and I got to see photos of what other people had been up to at the weekend, which was always good.
Other than Amazon suggesting I spent good money on e-books I had already bought from them, there were no emails of note in my in-box, so I got ready for work. I could tell that Treacle was tired this morning; as I got dressed she showed no interest whatsoever in trying to steal my socks. "er indoors TM" woke, said goodbye and went back to kip, and I set off to work.

It was rather cold as I walked to my car; as I drove to work the pundits on the radio were broadcasting about the ongoing Conservative party's conference.
British politics is in a very sad state; the Prime Minister is *still* trying to rally support for her "Chequers" Brexit plan even though very few people in Britain believe it has any merit and the European Union leaders have unanimously (effectively) wiped their bums with it and flushed it down the toilet. But despite her refusal to stop flogging a dead horse, the Conservative party are unanimous in not even speculating on the possibility of hoiking her out in favour of a new leader.  After all, who would be dumb enough to want to be at the country's helm right now?​ I *could* be wrong here, but I am convinced that the actual (if unstated) view of the Conservative party is that Brexit is going to be an unmitigated disaster, and Mrs. May is being groomed to be the scapegoat.

In other news the Large Hadron Collider is to get an upgrade even though the Astronomer Royal  thinks it might all end in tears as scientists meddle with things they shouldn't. I suspect he's got the hump because he's not got a Large Hadron Collider of his own, and Brexit has put paid to his getting his greasy mitts on the European's one.

I got to work and phoned the Dogs' Trust. When "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" took over her Emporium there was a collection tin on the counter for some obscure overseas charity; the registered office of which is a residential address in Margate. Whilst it may well be all above board, it certainly seems rather dodgy. I suggested that maybe a tin for a charity closer to home might be a good idea. I was told that if I thought it was such a good idea...
After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing the people at the Dogs' Trust have said they will send out a collection tin. I wonder how much it will rake in?

There was a *lot* of talk at work today about the hospital just up the road. Following what was being billed as "an attempt to improve turnaround times" about two thousand blood tests have had to be repeated. On the one hand this is terrible. On the other hand I'm going to say "told you so".
This is just one of many mergers that was discussed over twenty years ago. At the time I said it wouldn't work... Usually I don't blog about work-related things, but this is now utterly unconnected with me, so I've no axe to grind (for once).

I did my bit at work; as the day went on there were two celebrity deaths reported. It was a shame that he death of the renown and celebrated French crooner Charles Aznavour was overshadowed by the death of Geoffrey out of “Rainbow”. I once saw Geoffrey out of “Rainbow” live; he was rather good…

No comments:

Post a Comment