2 October 2018 (Tuesday) - This n That


A few months ago I watched the first two seasons of “The Good Place”; a rather good Netflix original show. This morning I started watching the third season. I was disappointed… I’m hoping it will perk up; a shame they are only releasing one episode per week; I’d rather binge-watch the lot.

I sparked up the lap-top to peer into cyber-space, and I had a thought (it happens from time to time…). Cast your mind back a couple of years. The year 2016 was universally hated and despised and somehow felt to be in some way responsible for no end of celebrity deaths. Yesterday both Geoffrey Hayes and Charles Aznavour died; people were posting about Geoffrey Hayes this morning. Quite a few people have croaked this year, and no one has seen it as in any way out of the ordinary. Why was celebrity death such an issue two years ago?

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing the Prime Minister who didn't come over very well. She was blathering on about her recently-announced immigration policy which would seem to have already blown up in her face. Bearing in mind that a *lot* of people voted for Brexit as a sure-fire way to send them all back on the next banana boat ("Them" being pretty much anyone who might plausibly be sent back anywhere), the Prime Minister wanted to do something about immigration. However (demonstrably) the average Brit won't work for minimum-wage jobs such as in the service industries and in agriculture. And furthermore (equally demonstrably) the average Brit doesn't seem to be very interested in doing skilled jobs such as I.T. and medical stuff. So the Prime Minister's new policy makes allowances for this. Immigrant workers will be allowed in to the UK to do the jobs that the Brits won't or can't do.
And so this morning it was claimed on the radio that after Brexit there will be *more* migrant workers in the UK in the future; not less.
The Prime Minister didn't actually deny this revelation...

The "Thought for the Day" today made me laugh out loud at its idiocy. The vicar giving the talk started off blathering on about how difficult dieting can be. As a life-long porker I can relate to how hard it can be to lose weight, but with a determined effort you can shed the pounds. In an amazing feat of talking twaddle this idiot vicar then likened the effort of dieting to the effort of believing in a non-existent God. No one can deny that if you stop eating cakes and use massive amounts of will-power you'll lose weight. Therefore it is self-evident (apparently!) that by exactly the same reasoning if you believed hard enough, God would exist.
How do these people ever get taken seriously? By the same logic I can murder and rob banks If I *really* believe it is the right thing to do...

I stopped off at Aldi before work. I needed some armpit-squirt. Having got the stuff I then stood behind a sign saying that if I was behind it they would open another till, and I waited for ten minutes for the three members of staff to finish their gossiping before one of them (grudgingly) opened said till.

I got to work and did that which I couldn’t avoid. I was beaten home by "er indoors TM" for once.
We watched “Bake-Off” over a rather good bottle of plonk…. Hic!

Today is "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" ‘s fourth birthday. We did a video call. Four – where has the time gone…?

No comments:

Post a Comment