9 March 2018 (Friday) - Bit Dull

I quite like the late shifts in that I can do things in the morning before work. But when the late shift is followed by a core shift… I got home shortly after ten o’clock last night. I had an hour then it was bed time, and if I didn’t leave for work by quarter past seven I would be stuck in the seriously slow-moving traffic up the A21. It was all something of a rush.
Nevertheless I was up half an hour earlier than I needed to be this morning. Last night the SkyPlus box had recorded the first episode of the new series of “Still Game”. It was rather good.

With brekkie scoffed I spent five minutes checking the Internet. Facebook was interesting; there are several people I keep on my list purely to watch their public squabbles. Another such squabble kicked off overnight; it made for minor entertainment as my stomach rumbled. Meanwhile other friends were off on their holidays.
LinkedIn has sent me an email telling me that Joseph Edwards had got a new job. I would congratulate him *if* I knew who he was. And with nothing else of note in cyberspace, I set off to work.

I had a vague plan to go for a puzzle geocache in Godinton on the way to work, but by the time I'd navigated around the dustbin lorries blocking the road I didn't have too much time to spare. You have to admire the bin men with the contemptuous way they slowly saunter across the roads. They know they are slowing the traffic to a seriously unreasonably degree, and they *really* don't care. I once complained to the council about an issue I had with the bin collections and the chap at the council told me that whatever my issue was, it was up to him to appease the contractors. If he didn't keep them sweet, they would simply refuse to collect the bins. But still get paid.
Nice work if you can get it.

As I drove I listened to the radio. I'd not heard the morning's news for some time. Apparently President Trump is to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
I doubt anything will be achieved by this meeting. Mind you is anything being achieved by either Donald Trump or Kim Jong Un? I suspect both are following the presidential model of Zaphod Beeblebrox who (when galactic president) didn't so much wield any power as drew the public's attention away from those behind the scenes who wielded the power.

There was also talk of a serious pay rise for NHS workers. Six and a half per cent extra, but we have to lose a day's holiday. That's no problem - I can live with that. I've got four days of this leave year's allocation I will probably lose as I've not taken it.

I stopped off at Tesco on the way to work. Getting in to the place was tricky as the car park was heaving with schoolchildren pulling wheelies on their pedal bikes. I got my shopping (ain't bum-wipe expensive!) and tried to get out of the place. "Tried" being an accurate description. The doors were blocked by over a dozen bicycles strewn over the floor by the schoolchildren who were standing around giving attitude to whoever tried to step over their bikes.
I complained to the manager. He didn't actually say "F... off fatso" to me, but his attitude certainly conveyed that sentiment.

I went in to work. There were cakes, but I was good and didn't have any. I did my bit on a rather dull day and came home. After all the late shifts recently it seemed odd to be leaving work in daylight.

"er indoors TM" is boiling up some diet scran. In the meantime I’ve got a stick of celery to chomp on. The dogs are eyeing it enviously…
Today has been rather dull…

No comments:

Post a Comment