25 January 2017 (Wednesday) - Crisis of Confidence

I think I’ve developed a cold; I didn’t sleep well at all last night (again). I was breathless for much of the night.
Over a rather early brekkie I watched an episode of “The Darling Buds of May”; it was rather predictable, but passed an hour. I then had a look at the Internet; pretty much nothing of note had happened overnight so I set off for work. I was glad that the car hadn’t iced up, but it was foggy this morning. And as I drove I realised how grubby the windscreen had become. I suppose that can only be a result of forty miles of motorway driving every day. I shall do something rather rash – I shall wash my car this weekend.

As I drove the pundits on the radio were discussing President Trump. The chap is apparently going ahead with his plans to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. And he is also apparently adamant that the Mexicans are going to pay for it. Interesting times…

I got to work... It is still early days and I’m still learning what lanes to be in at what stage of the journey, and where is the best place to park in the hospital car park. I had a minor melt-down when I got to the car park this morning. It actually took a major effort of will to walk into the place today. For all that I can come over as a loud extrovert, like all loud extroverts I’m actually rather shy. I’m the new boy in the place; there is probably about thirty to forty people in the laboratory where I work and I’m probably one of the oldest three there. Everyone knows everyone else, and I don’t know anyone.
Have I made a terrible mistake in leaving all that I knew and venturing into the unknown? Possibly. Who knows… Time will tell. It always does. But there is no going back - my old job has gone as a cost-saving.
In the meantime I shall carry on treating the whole thing as a big adventure. Which it is.

From work I went straight to Steve and Sarah’s where we had a rather good bit of Chinese, followed by an astro club committee meeting. All sorts of plans made for the future. I wonder how I’ll arrange my working life around them?


No comments:

Post a Comment