24 January 2017 (Tuesday) - Harpoons

"er indoors TM" couldn’t sleep last night; the puppy was just a tad restless. I did consider reminding her that having a puppy was her idea but thought better of it; I wanted to get *some* sleep. I didn’t get much.

Had I not started a new job yesterday I would have phoned in sick today (if only to get some shut-eye); it was a shame that all the restlessness stopped about ten minutes before my alarm was about to go off.
With nothing on the SkyPlus box to watch over brekkie I did a little channel-hopping and found some fishing shows on the “Quest” channel. Henry Gilbey is always entertaining. He swears an awful lot on the telly; the bleeping makes for entertaining viewing.
However I wasn’t sure about “Off The Hook; Extreme Catches”. To my mind you either catch a fish to safely release it, or to eat it. However this show featured some American wrestler (that I’d never heard of) who was doing all sorts of macho posturing and then set off to see how many fish he could harpoon. He then zoomed around on water skis with a garden fork trying to stab fish as he went past. That wasn’t fishing; that was cruelty. I was surprised that this was allowed on the telly at breakfast time.

And so to work. Today wasn’t icy, and I set off hoping for a better journey that I’d had yesterday. It probably was better. As I drove the pundits on the radio were discussing Israel’s plans to build houses on some disputed land. This has caused all sorts of consternation. They wheeled on someone who had an axe to grind on the matter. I don’t know what side of the argument this woman was on; it was irrelevant. All this woman could do was harp on about perceived injustices which happened in the year 1948 as a “tit-for-tat” for some other perceived injustice. It was very clear that both sides were far more interested in keeping old grievances alive. There will never be peace in the Middle East all the time this mentality persists.

I got to work; at lunch time I heard the news that the government needs the say-so of parliament before they can enact any Brexit. Doesn’t this just illustrate what a shambles the entire Brexit referendum was? And to add insult to injury the Scottish Nationalists don’t like the result of the Brexit referendum so they are threatening a retaliatory independence one of their own.

Once home I walked the dogs round the road. The puppy pulled like a train the entire way; once home she wanted to go to the garden where she did both “businesses”. Perhaps if I send her in the back garden before we walk, the next walk will be a little less of a route-march.

Being Tuesday the clans would normally gather, but I cried off. I didn’t sleep much at all last night. I think an early night might be a good idea…

No comments:

Post a Comment