2 January 2017 (Monday) - Visting Mum

I slept well last night. "er indoors TM" thinks it is because I had caffeine-free coffee last night. I’m not convinced; I rarely drink coffee in the evenings anyway, but it is a theory worth trying.
Over brekkie I had a look-see on the Internet. Not a lot had changed overnight, which was probably for the best. Other than Amazon trying to sell me that which I’d already bought there were no emails in my inbox. Several people were posting about the new year on social media. Some were hopeful for the future, some pessimistic. Much the same as ever really.
I was quite impressed with the fish tank this morning; spending fifty quid doing it up seems to have paid off (if you like that sort of thing). I quite like the plastic plants; I think I shall get some more, and maybe a few more little goldfish. "Furry Face TM" seems fascinated by the fish; he’s never shown any interest in the telly but an aquarium seems to be a whole different ball game.

"Daddy’s Little Angel TM" arrived with some KFC for her dad, and with KFC devoured we collected "My Boy TM" and set off to Hastings. We were all rather concerned having heard that my mum had had a stroke, and were rather pleasantly surprised to find she didn’t seem to have suffered any ill effects. I was expecting her to be in an armchair and looking incredibly frail; she was up and about having made a ton of sandwiches in readiness for our visit. We were expecting to make a flying visit as we weren’t expecting her to be strong enough for much; we stayed for a couple of hours. I told her off; we’d cancelled all of our plans as she was supposed to be on death’s door…
Mind you whilst there we did get news that my step father-in-law has been admitted to hospital as he could not breathe…

We came home and having dropped off the fruits of our loins to their various homes we popped in to Pets at Home. I got a few more plastic plants for the aquarium and "er indoors TM" wanted a coat for "Furry Shark TM". The poor little puppy does whine when we are on walks; I have a theory that she might be cold.
I got my new plastic plants into the aquarium, and then had a little fiddle about with the Wherigo writer. I’ve not made any Wherigos lately and I have a plan to make a GPS-SmartPhone adventure game based on the TV show “The Crystal Maze”. All I need is some ideas for games that are in keeping with the TV show that would work on a SmartPhone.

We settled the dogs and drove to the cinema where we met Jose and Maria. Jose had suggested watching the sci-fi film “Passengers”. I must admit I’m not a great fan of the cinema; the adverts are endless and you are lumped in with the burping, farting Great Unwashed. But sometimes it makes a change. It was quite fun tonight; I actually rather enjoyed the film but….
There is always a “but” isn’t there? The trouble with sci-fi (and all fiction really) is that there are no truly original ideas. I won’t give spoilers, but certain aspects of the film had been done better (years ago) by Allen Steele, Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov and the crew of the Red Dwarf.
Also for a sci-fi film to be plausible, the “sci” aspect has to be plausible. A spaceship travelling at half the speed of light for only thirty years cannot cover thirty-six light-years. And even if it could, a sling-shot manoeuvre round Arcturus would take more than thirty seconds.
And why do the leading ladies in films these days have to breast quite so boobily? The costumes in which this film’s leading lady titted about left little to the imagination.
And having made great show of sustaining a severe physical injury, one would expect such trauma to leave a scar…
But as I said, I really did like the film…

I’m having an early night tonight. Can you believe it – I’ve got to go to work tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment