3 April 2024 (Wednesday) - A Cyclist...

As I scoffed toast I watched the last episode of “Friday Night Dinner”. A rather good series; now to find something else to watch before work.
With nothing much happening on-line I set off to Pembury and work.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing some idiot who was complaining about how much cheaper supermarkets are than little local shops, how it wasn’t fair on the small shopkeepers, and how we should all boycott the supermarkets to teach them a lesson.
There’s no denying that (relatively speaking) supermarkets are cheap. Back in the day when Daddy’s Little Angel TM” tried to run a small shop she found that supermarkets were selling a lot of stuff cheaper than she could get it from the cash & carry. Supporting small shops is all very well if you can afford to do so. Personally I think the most recent fruit of my loins did the right thing in cutting her losses and not trying to compete with Tesco.
There was then a lot of talk about business… various experts were wheeled on to discuss all sorts of things. Retail, hotels, pubs, cinemas, nursing homes… the only thing that any of the experts were interested in was do these things make money? That’s the bottom line, isn’t it?
 
I got to work and did my bit. And slipped off early to use up a couple of hours of leave. As I drove home I listened to an album.
Fifty years ago Sparks released “Kimono My House”; one of my favourite albums. I have lists of favourite books and singles. Perhaps I should list my favourite albums too? A few months ago I heard that Pale Wizard Records were looking to bring out a cover album; all the tracks on the album covered by various bands. They were asking for crowdfunding and I signed up right away. I listened to the album of cover versions as I drove home. Sadly, of the twelve tracks two were good, two were OK and the rest were something of a disappointment.
Such a shame.
 
I got home and thought I might take the dogs to the park. But I forgot the schools were on holiday.
We had an episode…
As I was walking through the park I sensed something behind me. I turned to see some child on a pedal bike maybe two yards behind me, pedalling like a thing possessed whilst looking back over his shoulder at some old woman way behind (grandmother, perhaps?) The child suddenly noticed that he was about to crash into me, swerved, and missed Treacle by inches. He then carried on cycling whilst looking back at me shouting apologies.
I should have smiled and said nothing, but I didn’t.
I suggested he might like to stop apologizing, turn his head and look where he was going. Bearing in mind he was on a straight line for the river (only a few yards away) I thought that was rather sage advice. It was at this point that grandmother caught up and snapped at me that I should be more patient as it was only his third day on the bike. I suggested that she might have told him to look where he was going on day one. I marched off leaving her looking most indignant, I did my little whistle, and all three dogs followed me at heel.
We came home to find Bailey had rolled in something disgusting. Hopefully she’d done that after our little episode.
 
I then dozed in front of the telly for far too long. Early starts are a tad too much like hard work. “er indoors TM boiled up pork chops and we scoffed them whilst watching more “Lego Masters: New Zealand”.
I’m hoping that after peanuts, chili and Easter eggs, pork chops might sort my innards out.

No comments:

Post a Comment