13 April 2024 (Saturday) - Dog Club, Gardening, Sleepover

This morning there were a few rants on Facebook as there usually is. Someone was ranting about how the Chinese are flooding the market with cheap caviar and so what was once a posh delicacy only for the elite is being scoffed by the masses who probably don’t appreciate it. The implication being that if the great unwashed are scoffing caviar, then the pretentious need to find something else to pretend they like which is beyond the price range of the proles. I’m reminded of a rather nasty woman with whom I used to work who went to the opera regularly because she could afford to do so; not because she liked it.
There was also another rant about why should children shouldn’t have to conform at school but find their own way instead. The wife of a very good friend of mine did exactly that with her children. She took them out of mainstream school and “educated” them at home. One did nothing but play tennis and watch You-Tube videos all day long, and the other got to mid-teens and still couldn’t read.
Perhaps I shouldn’t look at Facebook in the mornings; it just boils my piss.
 
“er indoors TM was off to craft club this morning so I took the dogs to Dog Club where we had a rather good turn out this morning. The dogs had a whale of a time. There was a minor episode when a new dog was rather overwhelmed and frightened, but it seemed to sort itself out. I didn’t get involved; there were already enough people in the throng.
As we drove home I listened to Steve doing the Mystery Year competition. The Brittas Empire and the first Brit in space… 1992? No - I was one year out.
 
We went via My Boy TM”’s house. He’s decking his garden and said he had a few small rocks I might have.  I got the rocks, came home and used them. The splash pool which holds the pond’s bog filter is periodically overflowing. Yesterday “er indoors TM hit on the idea that it is too flat, so I had a minor disassembly, then without taking all the plants and water out I managed to lift its back and pop the small rocks in behind to raise the back up a bit. I then put it all back together and it seems to be OK. But I thought that a week or so ago when I supposedly fixed the leak (but hadn’t). Time will tell – it always does.
I then had a minor pootle about moving stone planters and generally tidying up before having a look in the shed. Assuming that today’s fix to the bog filter has worked (here’s hoping) I’m left with five sleepers I don’t need. Bearing in mind I’ve already painted them I can’t get a refund. And having negotiated a rock-bottom price for the waterfall I now probably don’t need, asking for a refund would be a bit cheeky. So having wasted the thick end of a hundred quid I had an idea about building a small water garden. All I needed was a pump. I found two pond pumps and a pond air pump in the shed.
And then I had stroke of inspiration. I could turn one of my current water features into a flower bed, move another over a bit, and use an existing pump for my water garden. All I would need would be another sleeper. So I popped over to Wickes to get a sixth sleeper.
As I came home I saw the people in a house down the road were giving away a couple of unwanted flower pots. I had those.
 
By then seven hours had passed, and “er indoors TM arrived with Darcie Waa Waa TM who had come for a little sleepover. Dog snogging, singing songs, not eating our dinner, wreaking mayhem… the usual.
As I type this she’s wandering around scoffing a banana whilst telling the dogs off for no reason that anyone can fathom. But the dogs don’t care - they absolutely adore her and follow her every move.
 
I’m going to work (hopefully) for a rest tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment