25 April 2024 (Thursday) - Little Pond Finished

I found myself in a rather thoughtful mood as I scoffed toast this morning. Facebook told me a friend was having a birthday today. I first met this chap in September 1984 when I started working with him. We worked together through thick and thin until August 2011 when I was sent to work elsewhere. Having been in very close company for twenty-seven years, that was it. I ran into him totally by chance once morning several years ago when I was doing a spot of geocaching before a late shift, but apart from that, I’ve not seen him at all in thirteen years.
Another Facebook friend was also having a birthday. Someone who I would see regularly on holidays ad high days back when I was into kite flying. Again, someone I’ve not heard from in years.
Makes you think, doesn’t it?
 
There wasn’t a lot happening on Facebook this morning. Seeing it was eight o’clock and she’d slept through her alarm again I kicked “er indoors TM out of bed. Once the dogs had scoffed brekkie we went off for our walk.
As we drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing the Shadow Transport Minister who was talking about Labour’s plans to re-nationalise the railways. She made the point that at the moment when a train runs late it could be a problem with the train, the track, the signalling, or an issue somewhere else. All of which are run by different companies and there are three hundred lawyers currently employed to sort out who is to blame. That’s one saving that could be made right away.
As we drove through the town centre there were countless children on bikes on their way to school; all with those silly white things in their ears. Let’s not pretend to be surprised when they get splatted, eh?
 
We got to the woods, and had a rather good wander round the woods. A shorter walk today; just over three miles. As we walked up the slope back to the car park we met a youngish lady and her dogs and Morgan and Bailey had a great game of chase with them. And when I shared treats with them, Treacle was quite happy for me to do so. Before we started Dog Club there is no way she’d allow a non-family dog to have a treat.
We’d started our walk early today as rain had been forecast. As we drove back into Ashford so the heavens opened.
 
We came home for a cuppa, then leaving “er indoors TM having a finance meeting I went to Bybrook Barn. Needing a length of black hose for the new little pond’s filter (ninety-nine pence) I spent over sixty quid. Four phlox plants, some garden ornaments, bird feeders and bird food too. “er indoors TM has this idea she’d like to watch the birds as she works, and a bird feeder might entice our feathered friends. It might… at the cost of those fat balls I hope it does.
 
With the rain stopped I thought I might crack on in the garden. I disassembled the new pond’s filter waterfall thingy and plumbed in the new hose. As planned, being black it is nowhere near as obvious as the one it replaced. I then arranged a few rocks and stones around it.
Then I sorted the shingle. Having scraped it all out of the way last Friday, I scraped it all back again today. Then I rearranged rather heavy stone garden ornaments before emptying weeds out of the smaller stone planters and putting the phlox in them. I took a deep breath and then swore at the dogs as they tried to dig them out again.
After three hours I decided that enough was enough and painted the sleepers. With them painted that would stop me walking across them and doing any more fiddling about.
I put the new garden ornaments onto the shed, then logged into the wi-fi booster. Hopefully this will allow us to use the house wi-fi in the garden. If it don’t I’ve still got gigabytes of mobile data I never use.
 
With my back aching I came in and made us both a cuppa. I had cake (I’d got some when at the garden centre earlier). “er indoors TM didn’t; she had a Penguin biccie. Each to their own, eh? More cake for me.
As I swilled cake I priced up what I’d spent on the little pond. Bearing in mind I got the waterfall at half price (as it was ex-demo) and that some of the odds and sods were recycled or already licking about in the shed, by the time I’ve paid for the fish (hopefully next week) it will have cost me two hundred and fifty quid. That’s not bad, really.
I then had a stroke of genius (I have those from time to time) and bodged together a little bracket to the old upright which used to hold the insect house (until it fell to bits). I was about to set up one of the new bird feeders on it, but rain stopped play. I’ll do that tomorrow.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching another episode of “Taskmaster”.
My face is glowing… I seem to have caught the sun today. Somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment