5 July 2023 (Wednesday) - An Anniversary

I had an early night last night and was soon fast asleep. Sadly Bailey didn't come up to bed with me. When she does she settles and I get some sleep. However when she stays downstairs with “er indoors TM and comes to bed later she is so excited to see me she licks my head for half an hour until she settles (like she did last night). There are some among my loyal readers who would find this rather sweet, and some who would find it frankly hilarious. From my perspective it is a pain in the glass (to coin a phrase). Having been woken I struggle to get back to sleep.
 
After another restless night I got up and watched more "Shameless". As I watched I sorted my letter pile. When we had the kitchen done last year we lost the shelf on which the letter rack sat. These days the letters just get put in a pile, and when it reaches a foot tall (quite literally) I go through it, ding out all the envelopes and recycle the letters. Out of an epic stack of letters I've kept hold of four. I wish people wouldn't send me post about such utter drivel of the sort that I dinged out this morning; if anything is of any importance these days I get a text, email or phone call about it. Letters? It is the third decade of the twenty-first century after all.
 
I took a rather circuitous drive to work via fifteen points of interest (points of interest to anyone who plays Munzee: to anyone else they were rather dull) and the petrol station.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how today was the seventy-fifth birthday of the NHS, and interviewing all sorts of people about the event.
Expert or gasbag; everyone wheeled onto the radio was of the same opinion: the NHS cannot carry on as it is without major changes. However whilst everyone questioned had all sorts of management catchphrases to offer on the matter, no one had a single practical suggestion.
Being radical (and perhaps a tad reactionary) I would suggest that major change is the last thing the NHS needs. Having been working in it since 1981 we've had nothing but forty-two years of major changes, none of which have had any chance to take effect before being dropped and the next scheme brought in. All the ideas, schemes and plans were brought in (and thrown out) on the whim of the prevailing political opinion of the moment. And at no stage has anyone ever done an independent review to see if anything worked or didn't work or might have worked had it been given a chance.
What the NHS needs is to be left alone to get on with it.
I was particularly miffed when Sir Tony Blair had words to say on the matter. I can remember the fortieth anniversary of the NHS nine years before he became Prime Minister when many members of staff at the William Harvey Hospital were wearing black armbands that day as some sort of strange protest about the perceived state of the NHS back then. I remember the day after the General Election of 1997 (nine years later) when Sir Tony was elected as Prime Minister. There was a massive feeling that great things were going to happen in the NHS. He had thirteen years to sort it out. I can't remember things changing massively (or at all) under his control... he’s had his chance and blew it. Too late to be opening his gob now.
 
I got to work and had a message from someone with whom I used to work (many years ago). She was closing down her garden pond; did I want her fish? At the risk of appearing ungrateful I said no. I've got quite a few fish in the pond already; possibly too many. I can take on some tiddlers, but not a dozen huge Koi.
If any of my loyal readers are keen, let me know...
 
In a lull at work I celebrated seventy-five years of the NHS by filling in some of the forms for my planned semi-retirement next year. Interestingly a chap I've worked with off and on for over twenty years announced today that he's retiring later this month.
He summed up my feelings when he said "there comes a point when you know you've had enough". I think he's right. I certainly don't dislike my job; I'm currently far happier at my current place of work than I had been for the previous thirty years. But I'm tired. Going part time will give me time to get bored with all sorts of other things.
Mind you I’m only semi-retiring. I wonder how many more anniversaries of the NHS I will see before I finally and completely jack it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment