19 July 2023 (Wednesday) - More Holiday

 

Morgan woke me when he started stomping about shortly after seven o’clock this morning. For a small dog he can certainly stomp.
I got up, made toast and had a look at the internet. It was still there. As always a common theme was dead dogs. Why do so many people feel the need to constantly post really sad and upsetting memes about dogs dying? This was immediately followed by a video from six years ago of my Fudge playing with the garden fountain. After a little melt-down I carried on seeing if there was anything else in the Internet.
After something of a hiatus I had two friend requests this morning. Both appeared to be “wipe clean”, but the second would seem to play a little too rough.
I sent out three birthday wishes to friends, and got ready for the day.
 
With the weather forecast giving zero per cent chance of rain before the evening I took the dogs up to Kings Wood. We saw several joggers, and again the dogs were all as good as gold. As we walked so the sky got darker and about a mile from the car so the drizzle started. I cut the walk short and we headed back. Just as we came to the car park so we had a refusal. The girls came to have their leads put on, but Morgan was rather reluctant. It was quite plain that he wanted more of a walk. But he was out of luck. I walked the ten paces to him and put his lead on.
Five minutes later as we drove through Boughton Aluph so the torrential rain started. But we got home to find the pavements bone dry. No rain at all only five miles away.
 
I popped up the road to the corner shop to get pastries; we had a cuppa then I cracked on in the shed some more. I lost count of the amount of new paintbrushes I found, and there was plenty of fence varnish in there that I never knew about. As well as the floating pond plant pot I knew I had, I found another too. I’m not sure if either “er indoors TM ‘s inflatable canoe or my old rubber dingy are seaworthy though.
I didn’t ding out *quite* so much today, but there were several very rusty bits of tat which hadn’t seen the light of day since our last camping trip; including two kettles which you could poke your finger through.
I still managed to load up a car full of tat though, and after a quick bit of lunch set off to the tip.
 
The tip was its usual self; I have a plan of action when unloading there. On arrival I immediately put one or two smaller items into the smaller skips; electrical recycling or clothes recycling or metal salvage. I then make a point of taking the cardboard boxes the small things were in to the cardboard recycling, and then asking the staff what I should do with some obscure bit of rubbish (today it was a broken shed window and a Camping Gaz canister)/ At first sight this might seem to be farting around, but *if* you go through this rigmarole the staff are far happier to let you then chuck half a dozen black sacks into the general waste. If you don’t go through this ritual they think you simply can’t be arsed and insist that they go through your black sacks with you. And consequently you end up spending an hour lugging this that and the other all over the tip, and listening to the staff getting quite aggressive with each other about the ultimate fate of every little thing you never want to see again. Take for example some poor old sod’s cheese-grater. Was it metal or plastic? They argued for ages over that one!
 
From the tip I popped to Sainsburys and brought cream cakes home for me and “er indoors TM. We scoffed them with a cuppa as she did her working from home and I did my watching an episode of “Shameless”. And then I floated my pond plant pots and filled them with Lamb’s Lettuce. I would say that “Lamb’s Lettuce” is posh water cress, but it is ten pence a bag cheaper. It might grow in the pond; it might not. The fish seem keen on knocking the floating plant pots about though.
 
There was a knock on the door; it was Martin. We settled the dogs and went out to the Beefeater where a few of the old gang had gathered for dinner in honour of Chris’s birthday. Having had dodgy experiences there before my hopes weren’t high, but we had a very good dinner. It is ages since we last got together… really should do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment