18 July 2023 (Tuesday) - Tidying the Shed

When I booted the new lap-top this morning it was raring to go in less than a minute. I saw that as something of a result; the old one would sometimes take up to quarter of an hour before it felt any urge to respond to any buttons I might have pressed.
I was into the internet far faster than I’ve been for years, and was immediately judging people with whom I used to work who were setting off on their third Mediterranean holiday of this year. And a minor squabble had kicked off about some company who had started up in Ashford selling cakes but refused to deliver and was incredibly cagey about where they were located. A rather strange business model.
 
I took the dogs up to Kings Wood. We had a good walk; when it is just me the dogs behave themselves perfectly; when there’s anyone else along with us they tend to play up. I wish they wouldn’t. We walked right round the woods, meeting several other dogs as we went, and every meeting passed off without incident.
 
With walk walked we came home and as the dogs slept so I cracked on tidying up the shed. It has to be said that the thing was something of a mess. Yesterday I got a set of drawers to help tidy stuff into. Perhaps I might have taken out the benching and put a level one in; instead I sawed up the old planking which has been laying round the garden for ages and used that to prop the shelves level.
I tidied. I found half a dozen packets of clout nails. I found several sets of hacksaw blades. I found an old hedge trimmer that was broken; I remember intending taking that thing to the tip years ago. I found four tubs of ant powder and three tins of WD40. I found a whole load of pond filter stuff which is of no use to me at all (and which is now up on Facebook Marketplace), and loads of tent poles. I wonder what happened to the tent?
As I remarked to new-next-door if you want anything from a set of bellows through to an aircraft carrier, before spending any money, have a look in my shed first.
 
With about one tenth if the shed tidied I loaded up the car with loads of black bags of rubbish, several poggered carpets, the knacked hedge trimmer and more broken torches than sense, and after a quick sandwich took all the tat to the tip. You still need to book an appointment at the tip, but nowadays you can get same day appointments.
The tip was rather entertaining; as a fellow punter unloaded his bags of rubbish so one of the tip staff ran up and started bellowing “PLASTIC, PLASTIC”. The chap with bags of plastic gave the tip operative a few minutes then asked why he was bellowing “PLASTIC, PLASTIC”. The tip operative rather pompously explained where plastic was supposed to be put. The chap with the plastic pointed out (in much the same way that you might speak to a rather simple-minded child) that he was fully aware of where the plastic recycling goes, and went on to explain how one might better convey this information rather than by bellowing “PLASTIC, PLASTIC”.
I just about managed not to laugh out loud.
 
From the tip I went to Sainsburys; “er indoors TM had given me a shopping list. And with shopping shopped I came home and put out the garden ornaments that I’d bought yesterday in B&M Bargains. Bearing in mind they came from B&M Bargains I’m quite impressed with them.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up bangers and mash for scran and we watched another episode of the new series of “Quantum Leap”. I’m quite getting into this; even though I’m pretty sure I can guess what is going to happen at the end…
 
I’m slowly getting used to the new laptop… the biggest hiccup is that the “\” key is where I expect the down-arrow to be, so every time I try to page down in a word document (like when I’m writing this) I suddenly get “\\\\\\\\\” appearing.
Today’s major victory was saving pictures in .jpg format rather than .psp format. Whilst this probably doesn’t mean much to many people, I’m quite chuffed about it.
If this blog entry uploads OK I shall attempt to install FileZilla and GSAK…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment