3 January 2019 (Thursday) - Early Shift



I slept reasonably well all the time the dogs were sleeping, but when they became restless at three o’clock, so did I.
Despite now having margarine I decided against toast for brekkie and scoffed a bowl of granola as I watched another episode of “Bottom” (Spud-U-Like irregulars second eleven – Cannonball Taffy O’Jones).
I then had a quick look at the Internet to see what I’d missed overnight. I hadn’t missed much. A new geocache had gone live two miles away in some woods shortly after midnight. Bearing in mind it would still be dark for another hour or so I thought better of going looking for it.

My car was covered in ice this morning; my new ice-scraper got a workout. It did the job. I was amazed at the difference having a long handle on the thing made… A long-handled ice-scraper; what an exciting life I sometimes lead.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the Chinese had successfully landed a robotic probe on the far side of the Moon. For once those presenting the news weren't showing their utter ignorance in an attempt to be sarcastic, which was something of a result for the BBC. Perhaps they've realised that for all President Trump talks about a US Space Force, the Chinese are clearly fast becoming the dominant power in space.
There was also talk of petrol prices. I've noticed that the stuff has got cheaper recently. Apparently over the last few weeks a litre of petrol has dropped in wholesale price by sixteen pence. However the pump price has only fallen by nine pence. That's seven pence per litre profit in someone's pocket. Wish it was mine.

 It was still dark when I got to work at half past seven. Just as well I hadn't chased after that geocache. I was amazed that no one had gone out during the night though. Not that I'm advocating it; had anyone gone out when the thing was published and gone arse-over-tit they would have frozen to death by the morning. Having said that, the first person there got there whilst it was still dark and whilst I was driving up the motorway. I *could* have been first – if I’d tried I would have been there half an hour before them.

Work was a tad dull today (not that I’m complaining). But an early start meant I was leaving work in daylight; even if not getting home in daylight. Once home I walked the wolf-pack round the roads and put the finishing touches to a geo-project for the weekend.
I had a little look on eBay and had something of a result. There is a particular Lego kit I’ve been looking out for. It generally sells for about thirty-five pounds. This evening I got it and *loads* of other Lego for twenty-five quid. Providing the thing arrives (!) I’m rather pleased about that.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good dinner which we washed down with a bottle of plonk whilst watching the New Year’s “Bake Off”. I watch that show with an air of “I could do that”… I sometimes wish I’d followed up on the two years that I worked in a restaurant kitchen in the summers of 1980 and 1981…

No comments:

Post a Comment