13 January 2019 (Sunday) - New Ash Green


Pogo seemed none the worse this morning having had me fall over him last night. Mind you I wasn’t in top form. Somehow late yesterday evening I managed to sit on my own “junk” and the experience sent a pain shooting up my right flank which was still there as I scoffed my brekkie.

Not much had happened on Facebook overnight, but I did receive an email this morning from Mrs Suzara Maling Wan (josepigemma@ono.com). Apparently God had told her to contact me and to send me four million dollars for me to carry out “the good work of god, and also to help the motherless and less privilege and also forth assistance of the widows”. I did think this a tad odd. I wondered if I might discuss it with her, but she cannot take any telephone calls right now because “relatives (that have squandered the funds agave them for this purpose before) are around me and my health status also”.
She then told me that God himself had ordered me to supply my banking details, passwords and logins and hinted that eternal damnation was waiting if I messed with Big G.
I suppose enough people fall for these scams to make it worth the scammers’ time trying them out.

We got ourselves and the dogs organised and set off to New Ash Green where we met Karl, Tracey and Charlotte. Our plan for the day was to follow the “Beating the Bounds” series of geocaches and picking up any others that were on our way.
We’d gone prepared for mud. As it happened much of the walk was around urban areas, and those parts of the walk which were in the countryside weren’t muddy at all. It was also rather warm bearing in mind the time of the year.
I’d been looking forward to a good walk… I must admit I was good to get out. It was a shame that we weren’t able to let the dogs run for more than a few minutes at a time, and that much of the walk was wandering round rather run-down council estates. But the earlier rain soon fizzled out, and we had a good time. We usually do… I particularly liked the tree climbing. Pogo is almost as good as his sister at going up trees.

Geocache-wise… I don’t want to be negative, but much of the problem with the geocaching around New Ash Green is that it is something of a mish-mash. There is a series of caches hidden by one person which goes in a circle (of sorts) but along this circle are caches hidden by others. There was quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing including one rather serious back-track of over half a mile.
And we had one of the highest failure rates ever. We’d seen that some of the caches had reports that they were missing, so in the week we’d contacted the owners of the missing ones to ask if they’d like us to do some maintenance as we walked round. We received no reply, so we didn’t. One of the missing ones was there all along. But (quite frankly) I wouldn’t have replaced any of the missing ones as they were all in areas where you would expect the normal people to find them.

With our walk done we found ourselves only a few short yards from “The Badger”. Billed as a dog-friendly pub selling a range of ales from the Wadsworth and Ringwood breweries we arrived to find it full of drunken thugs shouting profanities whilst trying to race toy cars around the bar. We walked in and walked straight out again.
Instead we drove for a few minutes to the Royal Oak where the locals weren’t shouting the “F” word as loud as they possibly could. We sat in the corner where the dogs wouldn’t try to guard the door. As we sank pints of Master Brew and Spitfire so the dogs dozed. I dozed on the way home; I blame the port.

I took a few photos whilst we were out. Once home I showed them to the Internet. "er indoors TM" then boiled up a plate of dinner and as we scoffed it we watched an episode of “Only Fools and Horses”. I found myself saying the script along with the characters on the telly. Much as I like the show, it is on telly far too much.
As I’m typing this, the terrible twins are both snoring. Fudge has already taken himself upstairs to the dog basket in our bedroom. I’m taking that as evidence of a good day…

No comments:

Post a Comment