15 January 2019 (Tuesday) - Eddie the Eagle


I lay awake for much of last night listening to a strange clicking-dripping sound. Had we got a water leak somewhere? Was it the guttering? But it wasn't raining? Just before the alarm went off I realised it was one of the dogs smacking their chops in their dreams.
I got up, and over brekkie watched another episode of "Prison Break" in which much the same happened as in the episode I watched last night. With not a lot going on in Facebook, and with absolutely no emails at all I set off to work.

I got to the car to find it covered in ice. After five minutes I found what I'd done with my ice scraper and got scraping. I was soon on my way to work on a very cold morning. I turned on the heater and the windscreen immediately steamed up. Whoops. So I pulled over to the side of the road to sort it only to get into an argument with the chap who'd been driving behind me. Being far too close to the rear end of my car, he pulled up when I did, thinking there was some reason to pull up. He didn't like my telling him that he'd been too close behind. People often get precious about their frankly awful driving.

As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were interviewing the Labour MP Hilary Benn who had recently withdrawn his motion (!) because he thought that was the best way to comprehensively stuff the Prime Minister. Most of the talk on the radio was about today's vote in Parliament about whether or not to accept the proposed Brexit deal. On the one hand the deal sucks fish. On the other hand it's the only deal on the table. It strikes me that perhaps those who made the deal might have involved those who would supposedly agree to the deal a *lot* earlier in the process, but what do I know? Over the last few weeks it seems there are a lot of people in politics who are more concerned with stuffing the Prime Minister rather than doing what is best for the national interest.

 I got to work whilst it was still dark. Early starts do seem rather early in the winter. The night shift was glad to see me, as night shifts usually are. However today kicked off with something of an emergency, and by the time I’d dealt with tropical diseases and oddities of the Kidd blood group system I was glad to see it was home time.

Once home I ran the dogs round the block, then puzzled for a while until "er indoors TM" came home. The original plan had been to go to the Tuesday gathering, but I was feeling rather run down, so we stayed in and watched something we’d recorded over Christmas – a film about the exploits of the ski-jumper “Eddie the Eagle”.
I think an early night might be a plan…

No comments:

Post a Comment