1 January 2019 (Tuesday) - Burham


I slept reasonably well I suppose. I’ve had worse nights. As I scoffed toast I watched Fudge sleeping. He didn’t seem to have that many cares. I looked at Facebook; it was surprisingly quiet. I suspect a lot of people who post on social media were still asleep. Mind you a good friend had posted up what I can only describe as “motivational bollox” – the sort of thing that managers are told to spout at management classes, and which fools no one except the person posting it. Mind you it made me think about the whole “New Year’s Resolutions” thing. I’m going to start the New Year diet in a week or so (once all the Christmas food is devoured), but other than that… I expect it will be business as usual.
(Mind you I have decided to be a lot less tolerant of the hateful racist rubbish I read every day on social media)

We got ourselves organised and set off to Burham where we met loads of friends. Every New Year’s Day there is a big meet-up of geocachers. We went on our first in 2014 when we walked from Kennington to Wye and back in torrential rain. In 2015 we had a rather good walk up and down Bluebell Hill. I ran the event myself in 2016 when I led a group of thirty-six people on a walk round Great Chart. We missed the last two years as rain stopped play. I say “rain stopped play”; the walks went ahead, we stayed at home because we didn’t fancy getting soaked.
I must admit I did wonder about the weather today. New Year isn’t famous for the wonderful weather it brings, but today was a rather bright morning. Ideal for a little walk up and down the North Downs. We got to Burham easily enough, and soon met up with friends. Over twenty of us got together and had a little walk along the local bye-ways. And then had a pint or two of lunch afterwards.
I took a few photos as we walked and afterwards.
Today was something of a milestone; Pogo was driven all the way there and all the way back without being sick. Good dog.

The original plan had been to have dinner with "My Boy TM" and his branch of the tribe, but with Cheryl being poorly we came home and dozed a little, then spent an hour or two solving geo-puzzles.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner and we scoffed it whist watching the New Year’s Day special episode of Doctor Who. I say “special” episode… I won’t give any spoilers but I will say that in many ways it was a re-make of a Doctor Who story which featured Christopher Ecclestone, and this re-make was nowhere near as good as the original.
I’ve been watching the show for as long as I can remember. I was *so* pleased when it came back to the telly in 2005 after a sixteen-year break. But most of the episodes since 2005 have been somewhat lacklustre. Maybe the BBC should get some writers who’ve actually seen the original. I could lend them some DVDs if it would help…

No comments:

Post a Comment